Search more info about this


2007年4月18日星期三

商务英语速成

Part One 出门在外

Scene 1
Chat on the airplane

结交朋友

Tom 和 Mary 出差在外,他们正在一架开往美国的飞机上。这时,Mary打开了话匣子……

Mary: Excuse me, I noticed you are reading a magazine about electronics. Have you heard about the coming electronics exhibition?
对不起, 我注意到您在看一本电子杂志。您听说过即将举行的电子产品展览吗?

Tom: Sure! That’s why I’m going to Chicago. Hi, my name is Tom Smith. What’s your name?
当然了!那正是我去芝加哥的原因。我叫汤姆·斯密斯,您尊姓大名?

Mary: Mary Clinton. I’m a sales representative for Richards Company, based in1 Hong Kong. Are you looking forward to the exhibition?
我是香港理查德公司的销售代理,您想去参加这个展览吗?


Tom: I’ve been waiting for the exhibition for more than 3 months. There are going to be companies from more than 50 countries in it. That is great. Don’t you think so?
我等这个展览都等了三个多月了。届时将有来自五十多个国家的公司参展,真是一件盛事。难道您不这样认为吗?

Mary: I see. I’m really expecting to see what products will be on show3 next year.
我明白了。我正等着看明年有什么产品面市呢。

Tom: I’m more interested in what new discoveries are being made in the electronics industry.
我对电子工业的新发现更为感兴趣。 

Mary: Really? Do you mind if I ask which part of the electronics industry you belong to?
是吗?您介意我问您是电子行业那一个部门的吗?

Tom: Not at all. I am employed in the Research and Development Department of a company based in Detroit. We specialize in producing new-style printers.
一点也不。我受雇于底特律一家公司的研究与拓展部。我们专门生产新式印刷机。

Mary: What’s the name of your company? Maybe I’ve heard of it.
您公司叫什么名字?我可能听说过。

Tom: I don’t think so. It is just a small company called “Welsh”.
我不这样认为。它只是一家叫威而希的小公司。

Mary: Hmm. Oh, didn’t you come out with an pretty small but strong high-tech printer at the exhibition last year in Taiwan?
哦,你们是不是去年在台湾展出过一种超小型,但使用了高科技的打印机?

Tom: Yeah, that turned out to be our best seller of the year, but it remains unknown abroad.
是的。那是去年最畅销的牌子。但它在国外还不知名。

Mary: One of my jobs is to keep an eye on the products with the potentiality to be successful. and then find Out why. So I even keep in mind some small companies’ names.
我的工作之一就是关注那些有潜力成功的产品,找出其成功的原因。因此我记得一些小公司的名字。

Tom: I enjoy talking with you. How about1 getting together for a dinner after we arrive in Chicago, so we have a chance to talk more about this?
很高兴和您交谈。到达芝加哥我们聚一聚,吃顿饭怎样?我们将有机会详谈。

Mary: That’s a great idea.
好提议。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. based in … 基地位于……
例 our company is based in Beijing.
我们的公司的总部在北京。
2. look forward to… 期待……
例 We look forward to your coming here.
我们期待着你的到来。
3. be on show 展览
例 New products will be on show.
新产品将展出。
4. do you mind if I ask… 你介意我问……
例 Do you mind if I open the window?
或 Would you mind my opening the window?
您介意我开窗吗?
5. specialize in… 专门从事
例 The factory specializes in producing tyres.
这家工厂专门生产轮胎。
6. come out … 推出
例 The Intel Company will come out a new type of chip.
英特尔公司将推出新型的芯片。
7. turn out … 结果是……;证明是……
例 It turned out that he was a traitor.
He turned out to be a traitor.
他被证明是一个叛徒。
8. Keep an eye on… 关注……
例 We keep an eye on the china’s entry into the WTO.
我们关注中国的入关问题。
9. find out 发现
例: We foud out she is a thief.
我们发现她是一个贼。
10.how about…? 干……怎么样?
例: 用于提出建议。
How about going to the park tomorrow?
明天去公园如何?


Related background(背景介绍)

做生意,注意抓住商机很重要。出差在外,结交朋友,一可以增加见识,开阔眼界,知未所知,闻未所闻;二可以为业务广开门路。自然,坐飞机的时间也是可以善加利用的。交朋友的关键是如何找到双方合意的话题。你可以察颜观色,根据对方的言行举止、容貌来判断其身份、职业。找到一个safe的topic。一般可以从谈论天气,周围环境开始,然后把谈话深入,找到大家的兴趣所在。如果谈得投机,可互留地址、电话等通讯方式,进行进一步联络。但切记不可唐突地问一些个人隐私或忌讳的问题。

Exercises:

1. Fill in the blanks.
(1) I’m a sale (代表) for Richard Company, (基地位于…) Hong Kong. Are you (期待…) the exhibition?
(2) Yeah, that (结果是…) to be our (最畅销的牌子) of the year, but it remains unknown somewhere .
(3) one of my jobs is to (关注…) the products with the potentiality to be successful. and then (找出) why. So I even (记住) some small companies’ names.

Scene 2
At the Immigration Office
入境检查
一位旅客来到入境处接受入境检查,海关人员对他进行询问……

Officer: May I see your entry card and passport, please? (Your entry card and passport please.)
我能看一下您的入境证和护照吗?

Traveler: Certainly. Here you are.
当然可以,给您。

Officer: What’s the purpose of your visit?
您此行的目的是什么?

Traveler: Business. (To attend an international conference1.) (To visit some friends.) (Sightseeing2.)
商务(参加一个国际会议),(拜访朋友),(观光)。

Officer: I see. How long are you going to stay? (How long do you intend to stay?)
我明白了。您将呆多久?

Traveler: For about two weeks.
大约两周。

Officer: Good. That’ll be all, thank you.
好,到此为止,谢谢。

Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1.conference会议
press conference 记者招待会
2.Sightseeing观光

Related background(背景介绍)
当你抵达目的地时,首先要办理入境手续。除了检查护照、签证是否有效,机场官员通常会询问你入境的目的。你可以回答:Business 或 To attend an international conference.


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
A: Your and passport, please.
我能看一下您的入境证和护照吗?
B: Certainly. .
当然可以,给您。
A: What’s the purpose of your visit?
您此行的目的是什么?
B: .
公干。
A: I see. ?
我明白了。 您将呆多久?
B: For about two weeks.
大约两周。
A: , thank you.
好,到此为止,谢谢。

Scene 3: Customs Declaration

申报关税

一个旅客来到海关接受物品检查,工作人员问道……

Officer: Your customs declaration card1, please.
请出示您的申报关税卡。

Traveler: Here it is.
给您。

Officer: Do you have anything to declare?
您有什么要申报的吗?

Traveler: I don’t think so. I have only personal belongings.
我想应该没有,我只有个人物品。

Officer: Please open your bags.
请打开您的包。

Traveler: All right. There you are.
好的,您看吧。

Officer: You have two cameras. Are they German cameras?
您有两架照相机,它们是德国货吗?

Traveler: Yes, they are.
是的。

Officer: Since they are both of the same make, only one camera is exempted from tax. You’ll have to pay the custom duty on the second one. Please take your card and pay in cash.
因为他们是同一型号,所以只有一架能免税。您必须付另一架照相机的关税,请出示卡,并付现金。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1.customs declaration card 关税申报卡
2.Be exempted from tax 免税
Is wine exempted from tax?
酒可以免税吗?
3. pay in cash付现金
You can either pay in cash or with your credit card.
你可以付现金或用信用卡。


Related background(背景介绍)
各国海关为了防止国家禁止进口的商品如毒品、武器等走私入境,在过关时海关人员往往会要求乘客将所携带的物品进行申报(declare)。如果所带物品需要报关,在飞机上便要先填好申报卡(declaration card)。如果是属于个人物品时,只需填上personal effects。

Exercises:

Fill in the blanks with the given words.
customs declaration card, declare, personal belongings, is exempted from, pay the custom duty on, pay in cash.
1. only one camera tax.
2. Do you have anything to ?
I don’t think so. I have only .
3. You’ll have to this Item. Please take your card and .
4. Your , please.
Here it is.

Scene 4
Meeting a Guest at the Airport
机场接客

(1) Jean是一家公司的秘书,她被派去机场接待来洽谈业务的Paul。 看到Paul后, Jean走上前去……

Jean: Excuse me.
打扰一下。

Paul: Yes?
有什么事?

Jean: If I am not wrong, you must be Mr. Paul William from Chicago.
如果我没认错人的话,您是来自芝加哥的保罗·威廉先生吧。

Paul: Yes, I am. What’s the matter?
我就是,有什么事吗?

Jean: I am Jean, clerk of the Gold Company.
我叫简, 固德公司的职员。 
 
Paul: How do you do?
您好。

Jean: Nice to meet you. My company asked me to pick you up.
很高兴见到你。公司派我来接你。

Paul: Thanks. It is very considerate of you to come to meet me. I was a little bit worried about where I am heading for . You know, I am not familiar with this place.
多谢。你们来接我,考虑得太周到了!我正为该往哪儿走发愁呢。你知道,我对这儿不熟。

Jean: Sorry, but I would have been here earlier if I had not been trapped in a traffic jam.
对不起。要不是碰上交通堵塞的话,我早就该到了。

Paul: Never mind. After all, you are here.
没关系。毕竟你来了。
 
Jean: I was expecting your arrival .How was your flight?
我正期待你的到来。旅途怎样?
Paul: It was quite nice.
十分好。

Jean: Do you fly very often?
您经常旅行吗?

Paul: Yes, I am used to a lot of air travel as a result of many years’ experience.
是的,由于多年做生意的缘故,我已习惯经常坐飞机旅行。

Jean: That’s true. Do you have any luggage?
的确如此。您有行李吗?

Paul: Yes, I’ve brought some catalogues and samples for your company. I think they will be helpful to your company.
是的,我为你们公司带了一些目录和样本。我认为会对你们公司有帮助。

Jean: If you are ready, let’s go. My car is parked outside.
如果您准备好了,我们就出机场吧,我的车就在外面。

Paul: Ok.
好的。

Jean: May I help you with your luggage?
我能帮你拿行李吗?
  
Paul: No, thanks, I think I can handle it by myself.
不用了,谢谢...我认为我能行。



Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. pick up 接…
After school, the parent picked the kid up.
放学后,家长接走了小孩。
2. head for… 走向…
Where are you heading for?
你走哪里去?
3. be familiar with … 对…熟悉
I am not familiar with my campus.
我对校园不熟。
4. be trapped in … 陷于…
He was trapped in the enemy’s plot.
他陷入了敌人的圈套。
5. get used to… 习惯于…
Have you got used to getting up early?
你习惯早起吗?
6. after all 毕竟
After all, he is a kid and is not to blame.
毕竟,他是一个孩子,不该被责备。
7. help …with… 在……上帮助……
I helped him with English.
我帮他学英语。
8. by oneself 独自
I do my lessons by myself.
我独自做功课。


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
A: Excuse me.
B: ?    
有什么事?
A: , Mr. Paul William from Chicago.
如果我没认错的话,您是来自芝加哥的保罗·威廉先生吧。
B: Yes, I am. ?
我就是,有什么事吗?
A: I am Jean, clerk of the Gold company.
我叫简, 固得公司的职员。  
B ?
您好!
A: . My company asked me to pick you up.
很高兴见到你。公司派我来接你。


(2)Brad到达机场后,径直来到海关出口处。当Nan出关时,他上前致意道…

B: Excuse me. Are you Ms. Nan ?
请问,您是南女士吗?
N: Yes, I am. From Nade Tree of England.
是的,我是英格兰Nade Tree公司的代表。
B: I’m Brad Smith, sales manager at G.T. Hi. (extends hand first, they shake hands) I came to welcome you, because unfortunately the general manager was tied up this morning. He is very eager to see you, and he sends the warmest regards on his behalf.
我是不莱迪·史密斯, G.T公司的业务经理。您好,(伸手与对方握手)我来迎接您, 因为总经理今早不巧有事无法脱身。他非常想见您,要我先代他向您致意。
N: Nice to meet you. And would you please just call me Nan? I do not take formality seriously.
我非常高兴认识你。叫我南就可以了,我比较随便。
B: Nice to meet you, too .Can I carry your luggage for you? A taxi is waiting outside.
也非常高兴认识你。让我帮你提行李好吗?有辆出租车在外面等候。
N: You are so thoughtful!
你们想得真周到啊!

Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. be tied up with… 被…缠身
He is tied up with the housework.
他被家务缠身。
2. eager to 渴望做…
He is eager to succeed.
他渴望成功。
3. Regard 问候
Give my best regards to your parents.
向你的父母致以我亲切的问候。
4. on behalf of 代表
We come to see him on behalf of his unit.
我们代表他的单位来看他。
5. take … seriously. 严肃对待
He never takes failure seriously.
他从不把失败当回事。


Related background(背景介绍)

机场接客,一定要以礼貌换得客人的好感,这对于公司是有利的。谈话内容限于问候等轻松、愉快的话题。毕竟,客人经过长途旅行,已经疲惫不堪。讨论严肃问题只会让人反感。活动的日程安排也不能急于告诉客人,除非在客人的要求下。倘若出现迟到,要向对方解释主客观原因,以取得谅解,千万不可给对方留下一种怠慢的感觉。

Exercises:

Translation:
1. 他非常想见您,要我先代他向您致意。
2. 非常高兴认识你。让我帮你提行李好吗?
3. 你们想得真周到啊。

Scene5
On the Way to the Hotel

(1) Jean 和Billy在开往旅馆的路上…

B: I hope you had a pleasant flight over, Jean. I’ve traveled a long distance before, and I can understand how tired it is.
简,我希望你来访旅途愉快,我以前也长途旅行过,我能体会有多累。

J: This plane went smooth1, except that there was a little bump now and then. In fact, I am not in low spirits.
除了不时有颠簸之外,一路都很顺利。老实说,我觉得自己精神还行。

B: Glad to hear it. Would you like to dine with us tonight? .
很高兴听你这么说, 您愿意和我们共进晚餐吗?

J: It’s very thoughtful, but as matter of fact, I prefer to spend a quiet evening in the hotel in preparation for tomorrow’s appointment.
你们太周到了!不过事实上,我情愿静静地在饭店休息一晚以准备明天的会谈。

B: Ok, at your wish. I have to inform you that tomorrow’s meeting is scheduled 5at 9 a.m., in the meeting room. I’ll wait for you at the hotel’s gate ahead of time.
那好吧,随您便。我必须告诉您明天的会议是早上9点在我们会议室举行。我提前到饭店门口等你。

J: That’ll be fine. Billy, thank you so much.
很好, 比利,谢谢你。

B: It’s my pleasure. By the way, would you like to have sightseeing while you’re here? I’d be happy to be your guide.
不用谢。对了,在这段时间 ,你是否想去外面观光一下吗?我很乐意作你的向导。

J: Well, I am afraid I cannot mix pleasure with business6 on this trip. But could I have a general view of the city?
恐怕我不能游玩办公两者兼顾了。不过,我们可以大概看看这个城市吗?

B: No problem. I’ll make arrangements7 later on8 before this weekend.
没问题,这个周末前我会安排时间。

J: Thanks very much.
非常谢谢你。




Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. go smooth 顺利
May everything go smooth.
愿一切顺利。
2. in low spirits情绪低落
He is in low spirits because he was ill.
他生病了,情绪低落。
3. as a matter of fact 事实上
As a matter of fact ,he is a common person.
事实上,他是一个普通人。
4. in preparation for… 为… 作准备
We work hard in preparation for college entrance examination.
我们努力学习,为高考作准备。
5. schedule计划
I am scheduled to set out tomorrow.
我计划明天出发。
6. mix pleasure with business 利用商务游玩
“mix A with B” 为常用语,形容”将A与B 混合“。 这个短语意思是假借公差的机会四处游玩。
Don’t mix right with wrong.
别是非混淆。
6. make arrangements作安排
He makes arrangements for the future.
他为将来作安排。
7. later on稍后
Let’s see the result later on.
让我们稍后看结果。


Exercises:

Translation:
1. 我希望你来访旅途愉快。
2. 我觉得自己精神还行。
3. 您愿意和我们共进晚餐吗?
4. 在这段时间 ,你是否想去观光旅游吗?





(2) Jean(秘书)和Paul(客人)在前往旅店的途中……

Jean: I don’t think you have been here before, have you?
我想您没来过这儿,是吗?
Paul: No, I have traveled around, but this is my first time here.
是的,我周游各地,但这是第一次到这儿。
Jean: I hope you will like it.
我希望您会喜欢这儿。
Paul: I am sure I will. I have heard about the beauty of your city scores of1 times, but I failed to come here because I was engaged in other affairs. Now my wish comes true.
我确信我会的。 我很多次听人说你们的城市很美,但一直忙于其它事而不能来。现在我如愿已尝了。
Jean: I’d like to take you sightseeing if it does not conflict with 4 your arrangement.
如果和您的安排不冲突的话,我很愿意带您去观光。
Paul: I’d certainly appreciate it. By the way, what’s the weather like here?
非常感谢。顺便问一下,这儿天气怎么样?
Jean: It is nice .You can see, Chicago is overwhelmed with 5 green trees. You can enjoy the beautiful sights as long as5 you have enough time.
天气宜人,你可以看到芝加哥绿树成荫。只要你有足够的时间,您就可以欣赏到美丽的风景。
Paul: I guess I have come at the right time.
我认为我到的正是时候。
Jean: Here we are .It is time to get off. This is Chicago Hotel. We have reserved a room for you.
我们到了,该下车了。这儿是芝加哥宾馆,我们已为你预定了一个房间。
Paul: That sounds good.
真是太好了。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. scores of 许多
There are scores of guys around me.
我周围有许多人。
2. be engaged in 从事
He is engaged in a holy career.
他从事神圣的事业。
3. come true?实现
My dream will come true one day.
我的梦想实现了。
4. conflict with .. 与..有冲突
Hope the plan does not conflict with you time schedule.
我希望我的计划没和你的时间安排相左。
5. be overwhelmed with 被覆盖
Workers are overwhelmed with pressure.
工人压力很大。

Related background(背景介绍)

可以利用去旅馆途中向客人介绍自己的城市,让客人增加对城市的了解,获取好的印象。同时你也可以对客人的各方面加深了解,为将来的合作打好基础。此刻,体现你的热情是很重要的。



Exercises:

Fill in the blanks with the following words:
scores of, is overwhelmed with, was engaged in, conflict with, comes true
1. I am sure I will . I have heard about the beauty of your city times, but I failed to come here because I some sort of other affairs. Now my wish .
2. I ‘d like to take you sightseeing if it does not your arrangement.
3. Chicago green trees.

Translation.
1. 这是我第一次到这儿。
2. 非常感激。
3. 我们已为你预定了一个房间。

Scene 6: At The Hotel

在旅店

接待员A 正在接待Paul…

A : Good evening , sir. Welcome to our hotel. How can I help you?
晚上好,欢迎到我们旅馆。有什么要帮忙的吗?

Paul: I am Paul William. I think I have a room reserved ahead of time. Would you please check it for me?
我叫保罗·威廉。我想我已提前预定了一个房间。您能帮我查一下吗?

A : Sure, Mr. William. We are expecting you. Please sign the register here.
可以,威廉先生。我们正期待着你的到来,请登记。

Paul: Certainly. (he signs) By the way,1 I wonder if there are any cables for me. I’ m expecting some from overseas.
可以,(他登记),顺便问一下,有我的电报吗?我正等着海外来电。

A: Not yet. but I will inform you as soon as I get anything.
还没呢。不过电报一来我就会通知你的。

Paul: Thanks. I was hoping you could tell me how to get to the Welsh Company.
谢谢。我希望您能告诉我怎么去威而希公司。

A: You can get there either by bus or by taxi. But most prefer the bus rather than 2the taxis because the latter is a bit expensive.
您可以坐巴士或打的去。但大多数人愿意坐巴士而不愿意打的,因为打的更贵一点。

Paul: Great. Would it be possible to 3change traveler’s checks here at the hotel?
太好了,旅馆可以换旅客卡吗?

A: Yes. We accept all of the major types of traveler’s checks4 .
可以。我们接受各种主要的旅客支票。

Paul: That makes my life easier5.
那我方便多了。

A: Your room number is 32. Here is your key.
你的房间号是32 。这是你的钥匙。

Paul: Thank you.
谢谢。

A: Come along 6with me. I will take you right there. Let me help you with your bags. This way, please.
跟我来,我会带你去。让我帮你提行李。这边走。



Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. By the way 顺便问一下
By the way ,where is the meeting held?
顺便问一下, 会议在哪儿召开?
2. Prefer to do .. rather than do..
宁可做…而不做...
I prefer to die rather than surrender.
我宁死不屈。
3. Would it be possible…? 做某事是可能的吗?
4. traveler’s check 旅客支票
5. Make one’s life easier. 使某人方便多了。
Using IC card makes our life easier.
用IC卡使我们的生活方便多了。
6. Come along 来,跟着来
Come along, do not leave behind.
跟上,别落后!


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
1. A: Good evening, sir. Welcome to our hotel. ?(有什么要帮忙的吗?)
B: I am Paul William. I think (我已提前预定了一个房间。). Would you please check it for me?
A: Sure, Mr. William. (我们正期待着你的到来。). Please sign the register.

Fill in the blanks with the following words:
rather than, make…easier, traveler’s check, Come along
1. Most prefer the bus the taxis.
2. That my life .
3. We accept all of the major types of .
4. with me.
Scene7 : Living in the Room

住房

在房间里, waiter与 Mr. Smith展开了对话……

W: This is your room. I hope it is to your taste1. What do you think of it?
这是您的房间。我希望你能满意。您觉得怎么样?

S: It ‘s quiet and clean. I love the color scheme.
既清净又干净。我喜欢房间的色彩布置。

W: We have the room color designed to make our guests feel relaxed and comfortable.
我们请人把房间的色彩设计得要让旅客觉得轻松舒适。

S: I really like it here. Let’s see the bathroom. Good. Both a shower and a tube. Is there hot water all the time?
我真的很喜欢。让我们看看浴室。很好,有淋浴和浴缸。全天有热水供应吗?

W: Yes, we have a 24-hour water supply for both hot and cold water.
是的。我们有二十四小时的冷热水供应。

S: Is the room air-conditioned?
房间有空调吗?

W: Yes. In case3 you need them, there are extra cups in the cupboard here.
有的。如果您需要,壁橱里还有多余的杯子。

S: Great. I’m sure I’ll enjoy my stay here.
好的。我相信我会很喜欢住在这儿的。

W: Well. If there is something you are not clear about, please phone the floor service desk. If there is nothing, I must be leaving now.
对了,如果您还有什么不明白的,请打电话问底楼服务台。如果没事的话,我就告辞了。

S: Well, you have thought about everything. Thank you very much.
你们想得太周到了,非常感谢。

W: You are welcome. See you later.
不客气。再见。

Notes about the dialogue (对话注释)

1. to your taste 符合你的口味.
Is the food to your taste?
食物符合你的口味吗?
2. color scheme 颜色布置
3. in case如果
In case there is any danger, what shall I do?
如果有危险,我该怎么办?




Related background(背景介绍)

入住酒店,需问请楚酒店的各种服务项目和酒店四周的环境。比如旅店周围的交通情况;商店布局;酒店是否能代办车票、飞机票;旅客投诉的电话号码等等。问清楚这些情况对客人是很必要的。对于旅店而言,提供优质服务,为客人提供方便也是一种义务。

Exercises:

Translation.
1. 我希望你能满意。您觉得房间怎么样?
2. 全天有热水供应吗?
3. 我们有二十四小时的冷热水供应。
4. 如果您还有什么不明白的,请打电话问底楼服务台。
5. 你们想得太周到了,非常感谢。
Part two 在办公室

Scene1: Introducing a Guest

引荐客人
William在公司里,为Nan介绍自己的老板-Mr. Li…

W : Mr. Li, This is Ms. Nan Smith, market manager for Apple Company (Li extends hand first; Li and Smith shake hands) Ms. Nan Smith, Mr. Steven Sun, general manager of Golden King Company.
李先生,这是苹果公司市场部经理-史密斯女士。(李先生先伸出手,两人握手)史密斯女士,这是史蒂芬孙先生, Golden King 公司的总经理。

L: Glad to finally meet you, Ms. Smith. (offers his business card first) Would you like to have my business card?
非常高兴见到您,史密斯女士(先递出名片),请收下我的名片。

N: Thanks, Mr. Li. please accept mine. (offers her own card) Just call me Nan. (both look at cards for a few seconds, then put them in pockets)
谢谢您,李先生。也请收下我的名片(递上自己的名片),叫我南就行。(两个人互看了一下名片,然后就把它放入口袋里) 

W: Nan, since both of you are acquainted1, Would you mind if I will check the arrangements for the meeting?
南,既然你们已认识,你不介意我检查一下会议安排吧?

N: You are in control.2
一切听你的!

L: (looking at William) You’ll find, Mr. Tayler, Mr.William is an able assistant.
(看着威廉),您会发现威廉是个得力助手。

W: Thanks for your confidence。I’ll be back soon. (leaves room)
谢谢你的信任,我马上回来。(走出房间)

N: He seems to be a talented young man, it is hard to find a man like that.
他看起来是个有天赋的青年人,很难找到像他这样的人。

L: Don’t I know it. He’s doing a great job for us. 
我完全同意,他在公司表现不凡。

N: Can you tell me in brief what the market is like in Hong Kong?
你可以简单地告诉我香港市场的现况吗?

L: Well, as income ascends higher and higher, the market has great potential.
唔,由于收入不断地增高,市场的发展有巨大潜力。

N: the market is promising? Hong Kong is certainly growing more quickly than I had imagined.
市场有前景? 香港的发展比我想象的要快多了。

L: Yes. Things certainly have changed. We’ve developed very quickly.
没错,现在的情形不一样了,这里发展得非常快速。

N: Do you think this situation will keep up?
你想这种形势还会持续下去吗?

L: I am optimistic about it. We do have some problems, but we are still willing to work hard to fulfill our target.
我很乐观!虽然存在一些问题,但我们仍愿意勤奋工作实现我们的目标。

N: Everything I’ve seen up to now is very satisfactory. Very satisfactory indeed.
到目前为止,我所看到的一切都令我十分满意,真的。




Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. get acquainted (with…) 和…认识,熟悉…
这个常用的短语暗示双方从不认识到熟识,可用get或become。若是短语之后,要加上被认识的对象,以介词 “with”连接。
I soon get acquainted with him.
我很快会认识他。
2.in brief 简言之
这个副词短语的意思是“简言之”。
例:Bob told us in brief what happened in the managers’ meeting.
鲍勃简略地告诉我们经理们开会的情形。
3. be… in control; hold...in control 完全掌握
例:The new president can’t hold the situation in control.
新总统无法掌握全局。
4. keep on 坚持
Keep on working, and you will win.
坚持就是胜利。
5. be optimistic about 对……乐观
The manager is optimistic about the future of the company.
经理对公司的前途很乐观。


Related background(背景介绍)

客人初来乍到,一般由秘书加以引荐,双方见面无外乎一些客套话。客人也能对公司人员、工作作风有个初步的了解。因此制造一个友好、轻松的氛围是很重要的,可以为将来的合作打好基础。


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
L: (非常高兴见到您), Mr. Smith. ?(叫我南就行。)
N: Thanks, Mr. Li. please accept my .(请收下我的名片。)
W: Nan, since both of you (已认识), (你不介意) if I will check the arrangements for the meeting?
N: .(一切听你的!)

Translation:
1. 谢谢你的信任。
2. 他在公司表现不凡。
3. 我很乐观!
4. 由于收入不断地增高,市场的发展有巨大潜力。
5. 到目前为止,我所看到的一切都令我十分满意。
Scene2: Picking Up the Telephone

接电话

(1)电话铃声响起 , 秘书接起电话…

M: Good morning. Elly Company.
早上好,这里是埃里公司。
F: Good morning. This is Pear Company.
早上好。这里是佩尔公司。
M: Pear Company. That’s P-E-A-R, is it?
佩尔公司,是拼成p-e-a-r,对吗?
F: Yes, that’s correct.。
是的,对。
M: Could you let me have your phone number, please?
您的电话号码是……?
F: 3-3-2-3-4-5-3.
3323453。
M: Let me see. 3-3-2-3-4-5-3. Got it.
让我看一看。3-3-2-3-4-5-3,记下了。
F: Our main computer needs looking at. We’re getting no response. There’s obviously something wrong.
我们的主机需要检查了。机子无反应。显然出问题了。
M: What model is your computer?
你们的计算机是什么型号?
F: It’s the Del 123.
是戴尔 123型号。
M: The Del 123?
是戴尔 123型号吗?
F: No, the Del 324.
不,是戴尔 324型号。
M: I’ll arrange for our engineer to pay a visit later today.
稍后我会安排工程师来检查。

F: Have you any idea of the time that the engineer will come?
您知道工程师几时来吗?

M: Between three and five o’clock, I think.
我想,大约三点到五点之间。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1.pay a visit to 参观
My teacher will pay a visit to me.
我的老师将会来看我。
2.have an idea知道
I have no idea of what has happened.
我不知道发生了什么事。

(2)电话铃声响起,秘书 M 接起电话…

F1: Could I speak to someone in the sales department, please?
我想接通销售部.

M: I’ll put you through.1
我这就帮你接。

F2: Sales. Can I help you?
销售部。我能帮忙吗?

F1: Yes, please. I’ve just received your last report and there’s an error in it.
是的,我刚收到你们的报单,里面有一个错误。

F2: What’s the name of your company, please?
请告诉我你们公司的名字?

F1: K.K Company.
K.K 公司。

F2: K.K Company. Is that in the town nearby?
K.K 公司?是在附近的镇上吗?

F1: Yes that’s right. You sent us a bill for 12 computers but we only ordered 10.
对的,你们送来了12台计算机的帐单,但我们只订了10台。

F2: Let me check a moment, please. Yes, I’m very sorry. There’s clearly been a mistake.
让我查一下。对不起,出错了。

F1: What should I do?
我该怎么办?

F2: Please return the report, and we’ll send you a new one. The total amount will now be $1000 instead of 2 $1200.
请送还报单,我们将寄来新的。费用是1000美金而不是1200美金。



Notes about the dialogue (对话注释)

1. put … through接通
Please put me through to Mr. Li.
请帮我接通李先生。
2.instead of 而不是
I go home instead of going to the cinema.
我回家而没去看电影。


Exercises:
Complete the following dialogue.
A: Could I speak to someone in the sales department, please?
B: . (我这就帮你接通。)
C: Sale. ?(我能帮忙吗?)
A: Yes, please. I’ve just received your last report and . (里面有一个错误。)
C: What’s the name of your company, please?
C: K.K Company.
A: ,(让我查一下)please. Yes, I’m very sorry. There’s clearly been a mistake.



(3)电话铃声响起,秘书接起电话…

M: Could I speak to your manager, please?
我能和你们的经理讲话吗?

F: That’s Mr. Li., I’m afraid he’s out at the moment. Could anyone else help?
找李先生?他不在。其他人行吗?

M: I am afraid not. He asked me to ring him about the exhibition.
恐怕不行。他叫我打电话谈展览的事。

F: Well, he should be back very soon.
他应该很快回来。

M: Have you any idea when?
你知道什么时候吗?

F: Let me see. He’s supposed to be back by three thirty and it’s already twenty past three. Would you like to ring back in, say, fifteen minutes? Or, better still, I’ll ask him to give you a call.
让我想想,应该是三点半,但现在三点二十了。你能十五分钟后打回来吗? 或者我叫他打回给你更好。

M: Thanks. That would probably be better. There’s no great urgency. I’m on seven-eight-double two-five-zero-one.
谢谢,那更好了。不急,我的号码是7822501。

F: That’s seven-eight-two-two-five-o-one.
7822501。

M: That’s right. I’ll be in my office all afternoon until 7:00.
对,7点前我在办公室。

F: Good, I’ll ask him to give you a ring.
好,我会叫他打给你的。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. ring 打电话
I will ring you back.
我待会打过来。
2. be supposed to 应该
He supposed to do his duty.
他应该负责。
3. Urgency 紧急情况
The escape is designed for urgency.
紧急通道是为紧急情况设计的。


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
M: ?(我能和你们的经理讲话吗?)
F: That’s Mr. Li. I’m afraid (他暂时不在). Could anyone else help?
M: I am afraid not. .(他叫我打电话谈展览的事。)
F: Well, he should be back very soon.
M: ?(你知道什么时候吗?)
F: Let me see. He’s supposed to2 be back by three thirty and it’s already twenty past three. ? (你能十五分钟后打来吗?) Or, .(或者我叫他回你更好。)




(4)电话铃声响起,秘书 M1接起电话…

M1: Good morning. Snow Trading Company. How can I help you?
早上好,小雪商贸公司。有什么能帮忙的吗?

M2: This is Shell Limited.
这里是壳牌有限公司。

M1: How do you spell your company name, sir?
怎样拼你公司的名称,先生。

M2: S-h-e-l-l. I want to ask about an order, which we made. This was over three weeks ago, and we haven’t received anything at all yet.
s-h-e-l-l。 我想询问我们定单的事情。它在三星期前发出了,但我们还什么都没收到。

M1: I’m sorry, sir. When did you send in your order?
对不起,您什么时候寄出的?

M2: October 11th.
10月11号。

M1: What was the order for?
订购的内容是什么?

M2: Three computers .
三台电脑。

M1: Didn’t you receive any acknowledgement1 from us?
您收到我们的确认信吗?

M2: Yes, we got a letter but the computers haven’t arrived.
是的,但计算机没到。

M1: Could you please give me your order number? That’s the number in the top right-hand corner of our letter.
您的订单编号是多少? 号码在信的右上角。

M2: It’s 00361.
是00361。

M1: Yes, I’ve got it on the screen now. The equipment was dispatched2 yesterday and should be with you later today or tomorrow.
是的, 我在屏幕上找到了。设备已送出,今天或明天就可收到。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. Acknowledgement 承认,确认书
I haven’t the acknowledgement letter.
我还没得到确认信。
2 dispatch发送
The goods will be dispatched soon.
货物不久会发送出去。


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
A: I want to ask about an order, which we made. This was over three weeks ago, and we haven’t received anything at all yet.
B: I’m sorry, sir. ?(您什么时候寄出的?)
A: October 11th.
B: ?(订购的内容是什么?)
A: Three computers .
B: ?(您收到我们的确认信吗?)
A: Yes, we got a letter but the computers haven’t arrived.
B: ? (您的定订单号?)That’s the number in the top right-hand corner of our letter.
A: It’s 00361 B.


(5)电话铃声响起,秘书接起电话…

F: Express Transportation1 Company.
速递公司。

M: Good afternoon. Apple Company here.
下午好,这里是苹果公司。

F: Yes.
好的。

M: . We recently dispatched some computers through your company and we’ve just heard from2 our customers that two of the six computers were damaged when they arrived.
我们最近通过你们公司托送了一些计算机, 我们收到顾客来信,说到货后发现六台计算机被损坏了。

F: Are you sure they were all right before we packed and transported them?
你确信它们在包装运输前是完好无缺的吗?

M: Absolutely sure. All our items are carefully checked before leaving our warehouse. In fact, one of your supervisors was present3 while the computers were being packed by your people.
绝对确信,我们的产品在离仓前仔细检查过。事实上,你们的一个检查员在场,计算机是你方人员包装的。

F: What was the consignment4 code?
搬运号是多少?

M: 85902417.
85902417。

F: Were there any letters after the number?
数字后有字母吗?

M: Yes, That’s 85902417 AHPTU.
有,85902417 AHPTU。

F: Ah yes. We delivered the computers to Golden Company for you.
不错,我们替你们将计算机送到Golden公司。

M: That’s right.
好的。

F: Could you please let me have their phone number so that we can arrange 5for them to inspect the damage?
你能将你的电话号码给我吗?这样我们可以安排人员检查损失。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. Express Transportation特快运输
2. heard from 收到来信
I have not heard from him.
我没有收他的信。
3. be present 在场
He is present in the meeting.
他出席了会议。
4.consignment 运输、货物
5. arrange for sb. to do 安排某人做某事
the manager arrange for him to go on business.
经理安排他出差。


Related background(背景介绍)
办公室的电话,尤其是询问或抱怨的顾客打来的,一定要慎重对待。对于询问的电话,往往涉及公司业务,这对于公司的发展,形象至关重要。在处理顾客电话投诉的时候,一定要晓之以理,动之以情。不可盲目推卸责任。否则,只会断送公司的业务渠道,损害公司信誉。


Exercises:

Translation:
1. 我们最近通过你公司发送了一些计算机。
2. 你确信它们在包装运输前是好的吗?
3. 绝对确信,我们的产品在离仓前仔细检查过。
Scene3: Making an Appointment

约会

Mr. Smith前去赴约,遇到秘书Mary…….

Mr. Smith: Good morning.
早上好。

Mary: Good morning. Can I help you?
早上好,有什么要帮忙的吗?

Mr. Smith : Er, yes. I have an appointment with Mr. Gates at quarter past ten.
是的。我和盖茨先生在10点15有约会。

Mary: May I have your name, please?
您尊姓大名?

Mr. Smith: Paul Smith, from the Intel Company.
我是英特尔公司的鲍尔·史密斯。

Mary: Thank you. Please take a seat, Mr. Smith, and I’ll phone Mr. Gates’s office.(dials)
谢谢,请坐,史密斯先生,我会打电话给盖茨先生办公室。(拨号)

Betty: Mr. Gates’s office.
盖茨先生办公室。

Mary: Hello, Betty. This is Reception. Mr. Smith is here for his appointment.
您好,贝蒂。 这里是接待处,史密斯先生来赴约。

Betty: Oh yes. Mary. Mr. Gates’s expecting him. He is in Room 9 on the first floor.
玛丽啊,盖茨先生正在等他。他在一楼9号房。

Mary: Thanks. Mr. Smith, would you please go up to Room 9 on the first floor. Mr Gates’s expecting you.
谢谢, 史密斯先生,请您去一楼9号房, 盖茨先生正在等您。

Mr. Smith: Room 9 on the first floor.
一楼9号房。

Mary: That’s right. You can use lift.
对, 你可以乘电梯上去。

Mr. Smith: Thank you.
谢谢。


The second visitor is Mr. Wang. He has not an appointment, but he wants to see Mr. William.
第二个访客是王先生。他没有预约,但想见威廉先生。

Mr. Wang: Good morning.
早上好。

Mary: Good morning. Mr. Wang. How are you?
早上好。王先生,您好吗?

Mr. Wang: I’m fine, thanks, and you?
很好,谢谢,您呢?

Mary: Oh, busy as usual1. Do you want to see Mr. William?
象平常一样忙。您要见威廉先生吗?

Mr. Wang: Yes, please.
是的,麻烦你。

Mary: Do you have an appointment?
您预约了吗?

Mr. Wang: Er ... No, I haven’t. You see, I only arrived in the country this morning.
还没呢,你看,我今天早上才抵达这个国家。

Mary: Well, I know he’s busy at the moment, but I’ll ask his secretary when he’ll be free. Please sit down.
他此刻正忙着,但我可以问他的秘书他是否有空。请坐。

Mr. Wang: Thank you.
谢谢。

(dials)
(拨号)
Larry: Mr. William office.
威廉先生办公室。

Mary: Oh, hello, Larry. It’s reception I have Mr. Wang here. He doesn’t have an appointment but would like to see Mr. William. When will he be free?
您好,拉莉,我是接待处。王先生在这儿。他没有预约,但他想见威廉先生。他什么时候有空?

Larry: Let me see ... Well, Hmmm, he’ll be free about 12.30. Can Mr. Wang wait?
让我想想。 他将在12:30左右有空,王先生能等吗?

Mary: Mr. William will be free about half past twelve. Can you wait?
威廉先生将在12:30左右有空,王先生您能等吗?

Mr. Wang: What’s the time now?
现在几点?

Mary: It’s nearly 12:00.
大约12点。

Mr. Wang: Oh that’s fine, I’ll wait.
那好,我会等。

Mary: (To Larry) Larry, Mr. Wang will wait.
( 对拉莉)拉莉,王先生会等。

Larry: Right. I’ll fetch 2him when Mr. William is free.
好, 当威廉先生有空时,我会去叫他。

Mary: Thank you. (Replaces phone,To Mr. Wang) He’ll come and fetch you later.
谢谢,(挂电话,对王先生)她会待会儿找你。

Mr. Wang: Thank you.
谢谢。

Mary: Where are you staying, Mr. Wang?
您在哪儿等,王先生?

Mr. Wang: At the Plaza3.
在广场。

Mary: The Plaza?
广场?

Mr. Wang: Yes, I usually stay there.
是的,通常我都在那儿。





Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)
1. As usual 通常
I get up at 7 o’clock as usual.
我通常七点起床。
2. Fetch 接
I will fetch you in a minute.
我过会儿去接你。
3. Plaza 广场


Related background(背景介绍)

赴约时一般都要经过秘书,再由秘书通知主管人员,无论是事先约好还是不速之客,一定要经秘书协调才能会晤。


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
A: Good morning.
B: ? (早上好,有什么要帮忙的吗?)
A: Er, yes. (我和盖茨先生在10点15有约。)
B: ? (您尊姓大名?)
A: Paul Smith … from the Intel Company.
B: Thank you. ,(请坐,) Mr. Smith, and . (我会打电话给盖茨先生办公室。)

Translation:
1. 您好,接待处,王先生在这儿。他没有预约,但他想见威廉先生。 他什么时候有空?
2. 威廉先生将在12:30左右有空,王先生您能等吗?
3. 当威廉先生有空时,我会去叫他。
Scene4 Interview

求职面试场景

场 景 一 A和B在就业话题上展开对话……

A: So, Frank, what do you think of my chances?
A: 那么,弗朗克,你看我能获得这个职位吗?

B: Well, Lucy, it is above me. This is a decision that will be made by the general manager.
B: 呃,露茜,这事不能由我做主,要由总经理来决定。

A: yes, I know that, but I know that your opinion counts. I am up to1 the job.
A: 是的,我明白。但我知道你的话的分量。我能担任这个职务。

B: What do you mean?
B: 你是什么意思?

A: Look, What I’m good at2 is working with outside people, and getting people to attend the programs. I don’t think someone else can do better than I can.
A: 你瞧,我擅长和外界人士合作,争取别人参加这个项目。我认为别人不一定比我做得更好。



Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. be up to… 胜任
You are up to a teacher.
你能够胜任当个老师。
2. be good at 擅长于
I am good at playing basketball.
我擅长于打篮球。


场 景 二 A向B面试…….

A: Please begin by introducing yourself?
A: 你就从介绍你自己开始吧!

B: What do you want to know about me?
B: 你想知道我一些什么?

A: Something is important to get the job. Such as your background and experience and any personal information that you feel is relevant and can be referred to.
A: 一些对找工作很重要的东西。例如你的背景、经历和你觉得任何与此有关且可借以参考的个人情况。

B: Well, I was born in New York and went to school there, straight through university. My father is a teacher, and my mother is an accountant.
B: 好吧。我出生在纽约。在那儿上的学,一直到大学毕业。我父亲是个老师,母亲是个会计。

A: So you were born into a professional family.
A:你是出身于一个职业家庭了。

B: Right. Both of my sisters teach at a university.
B: 是的。我的两个姐姐在大学任教。

A: What caused you decide to be engaged in computers?
A: 什么促使你从事计算机这一行的?

B: Oh, nothing in particular1, I guess I always liked calculating and playing with machines.
B: 我想没什么特殊的原因。我一向喜欢计算和喜欢玩弄机械。

A: Now what about your experience? How long have you been working with computers?
A: 谈谈你的经历好吗?你干计算机行业有多久了?

B: More than five years now. After I achieved my engineering degree, I began to focus on 2computer technology and I even had my own career for a while.
B: 五年多了。读完理工硕士学位之后,我就开始专攻计算机技术。有一段时间我甚至还建立了自己的事业。

A: It certainly sounds good. Why don’t you have your credentials3 sent to me and I’ll hand them in to the board. We’ll probably contact you in a week.
A: 这一点很好。请把你的证件寄给我,我拿给理事会看看。一个星期之内,我们可能再和你联系。

B: Thanks very much.
B: 非常感谢。

Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. in particular尤其
I love the animals, cats in particular.
我爱动物,尤其是猫。
2. focus on集中
Let’s focus on the plant research.
让我们致力于植物研究吧。
3. credentials证件





场 景三 John Smith前去面试……

A: Good morning. My name’s John Smith.
A: 早上好,我是约翰·史密斯。

B: Ah, good morning, Mr. Smith. Nice to meet you. I’m Lucy from Personnel.1 Do sit down!
B: 啊,早晨好,史密斯先生,见到你很高兴。我叫拉莉,是管人事的。请坐!

A: Thank you very much!
A: 谢谢!

B: Now, do you have your curriculum vitae2 together with you?
B: 你的履历表带来了吗?

A: Yes, here it is. There are three.
A: 是的,在这儿。共三份。

B: Have you brought your certificates3 as well?
B: 你的学历证明也带来了吗?

A: .I’m awfully sorry. Can I send them to you?
A: 非常抱歉。我可以把它寄给你吗?

B: Sure. Now, let’s talk about the position.
B: 可以,那样也行。现在我们谈谈职位。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. Personnel人事
Personnel department 人事部
2. curriculum vitae履历表
3. certificate 学历证明


Related background(背景介绍)

面试是一个比较特殊的场合,成功的面试可能将是你事业上成功的起点。面试不仅是一种学问,它更是一种艺术。应试人除了带上必要的证件之外,还更需要有一个随机应变的口才,懂得察颜观色,获得对方的好感,当然你的实力是最重要的。


Exercises:

Translation:
1. 你看我能获得这个职位吗?
2. 这事不能由我做主,要由总经理来决定。
3. 我能担任这个职务。
4. 我擅长和外界人士合作,争取别人参加这个项目。
5. 就从介绍你自己开始吧!
6. 什么促使从事计算机这一行的?
7. 谈谈你的经历好吗?
8. 你干计算机行业有多久了?

Complete the following dialogue.
A: Good morning. My name’s John Smith.
B: Ah, (早上好), Mr. Smith. (见到你很高兴。). I’m Rick Li from Personnel.
(请坐!)
A: Thank you very much.
B: Now, together with you? (你的履历表带来了吗?)
A: Yes, here it is. .(共三份。)
B: ?(你的学历证明也带来了吗?)
A: I’m awfully sorry. Can I send them to you?
B: Sure. Now, .(现在我们谈谈职位。)
Scene5 Negotiation

谈判桌上

(1) Steven和Nan正谈着一笔生意……

S: Thanks for sparing1 time to have lunch with me, Nan. I know how busy you are.
谢谢您赶来与我共度午餐,南。我知道你很忙。

N: Well, you know, Steven, it is a better way to negotiate at table because the atmosphere is relaxing and can ease the tension.
唔,史蒂芬,饭桌上谈判是一个好办法,因为气氛轻松,能缓解压力。

S: Nan, I have been told there is a slight problem over price.
南,我听说价格上出了点小问题。

N: I don’t think it’s a big problem. William simply told me that he didn’t have the right 2 to make a decision.
我并不觉得那是什么大问题。威廉只是说他没有作决定的权力。

S: Yes, I understand. Money questions must be determined by the Boss,in general, if you will.
是的,我知道。可以这么说,钱的问题一向是由老板定夺。

N: I see. Don’t you feel negotiating is a lot slower in this way?
原来如此。但你不觉得这样会使谈判进度变慢吗?

S: Maybe short of efficiency, I admit.
我承认可能会缺乏效率。

N: Well, to put it in a simple way3, we feel we should be rewarded with a big discount for wholesales.
好吧,简单地说,我们应该享有批发的折扣。

S: Sounds reasonable. Can you provide some numbers for me?
听起来很合理,你可否给我具体的数字呢?

N: If G.T. is to be your only agent in North America, a discount of 10 per quarter4 is acceptable, the more we order, the more discount we should enjoy.
如果G.T 日后成为贵公司在北美的独家代理商,我想每季度九折是可接受的,订货量越多,折扣也就越大。

S: I think it is no problem, if you really feel you can sell so many.
如果你真的认为贵公司能够销售这么多的货,我想应该是没问题。

N: I believe so. you have got a first-class product line.
我相信我们办得到,因为你们有一流的生产线。

S: I’ll tell you what; I can give you the discounts if you agree to a commission of 11% the price..
我有个建议,如果你同意把佣金订为价格的百分之十一,那我就同意你要求的折扣。

N: 15% and you’ve got yourself a deal.5
百分之十五,咱们成交。

S: How about 13%?
百分之十三,如何?

N: OK, I think we can accept the 13% commission.
好吧,可以接受净价百分之十三的佣金条件。

S: Good. And can we agree to pay once a month?
好。我们讲好每月付款一次,可以吗?

N: We’d prefer to make payment per quarter. With such large orders, it would be bad to our cash-flow if we paid out so much before sales began.
我想每季度付一次比较好。由于我们下的订单这么大,在进帐之前,就要付出这么大笔的款项,将有损我们的现金流量。



Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1.spare 挤出
例:We have to spare time to meet the client on time.
我们要挤出时间准时见客户。
2.. have the right to 有权
例:We have no right to go.
我们无权离开。
3.to put it in a simple way 简单地说
To put it in a simple way, it is a money problem.
简单说来,这是一个钱的问题。
4 per quarter 每季度
“quarter”是”季度”,通常为期三个月。 “per”等于 “by each”, “per quarter”为”每季度”,可当形容词或副词,等于 “quarterly”。
例:we pay our employee per quarter.
我们按季度付工资。
5.deal 交易
It is a deal.
成交。

(2) Kate Nelligan 和Pete Boardinan 坐在谈判桌旁……
KN = Kate Nelligan; PB = Pete Boardinan

KN: So, you’ve only just recently started up?
这么说你是最近才开始的?

PB: That’s right, but Geoff Stanton, the Managing Director, has been in components supply for a good 20 years.
对的,但总经理吉奥夫·史泰敦从事零部件供应已二十年了。

KN: Oh, that’s interesting. Who was he with before?
那太有趣了,他以前和谁合作?

PB: Both he and I were with standard Telecom, in their electronics division. We were both ready for a change and when he got the capital to start up Northern Electronics, he asked me to join him.
我和他都和标准电信公司合作,在电子部。我们都准备有所改变,当他得到资本开创北方电力后,他叫我一同加入。

KN: And how’s business?
生意怎样?

PB: Well, it’s gradually building up. We’ve got a number of fairly small-scale contracts for components supply - you know, mainly specialized operations.
我们逐渐发展,我们签定了小批量的生产零部件合同,主要是专门的运作。

KN: Yes. That’s one of the things which worries me. You see, you’ve no track record of meeting large-scale orders .
那正是我担心的,您们没接过大批量的定单。

PB: That’s true, but you’ve seen we’ve got the capacity and our quality control procedures are very exacting.
确实,但你应该看到我们具备这种能力,我们的质量监控程序非常精确。

KN: Yes. I’m impressed by the investment you’ve made in that area. Er, shall we turn now to the actual terms?
我对你在这一领域的投资有很深的印象,让我们来谈谈实际项目。

PB: Certainly. Well, we’ve already discussed price in some detail. I suppose you’d be interested in delivery?
当然,我们已经详细讨论了价格问题。我想你会对发货感兴趣的。

KN: Yes, we would. It’s critical to1 meeting our deadlines, as you can imagine.
是的,正如你想象的一样,不要错过我方的发货截止期是非常重要。

PB: Sure. What sort of delivery periods did you have in mind?
行,你打算是哪一种发货期?

KN: Well, you’ve seen the order quantities. What do you think you could manage?
你已看到了定货量,你认为你能应付什么情况?

PB: Well, on the AX000 components, we could certainly...
至于AX000零部件,我们当然…

KN: No, I didn’t mean on the individual orders. What about the whole consignment, on a monthly basis?
不,我不指个别定单。一个月的批量定单如何?

PB: Oh, I see. I hadn’t realized we’d be talking about that. I’d have to get back to Geoff to confirmed times on that.
我明白了,我刚才没意识到所谈的,我得回到吉奥夫确认其时间。

KN: Surely you could give me some idea?
你的主意是……?

PB: Well, I reckon ... we could manage 15 days from confirmed order. But, as I say, I’d have to get back to you to confirm that.
那,我想… 我们从定单确认后十五天内能行,不过我得回去确认一下。

KN: That’s at your quoted prices?
是以你们报的价?

PB: Um ... well, actually we quoted for those batch by batch. We hadn’t realized you’d be thinking of ordering the whole lot.
我们是一批批报价,没意识到你们是批量的。

KN: I see. So I suppose we’d be looking at reduction for bulk orders?
我明白,我们的批量订购有折扣吗?

PB: Look, I’m sorry, To be perfectly frank2, you’ve caught me on the hop3 here. Would you mind waiting while I speak to Geoff on the phone?
对不起,老实说,你可难为我了,你能等我给公司去个电话吗?

KN: No, of course not ... Did you get through OK?
行,你通了吗?

PB: Yes, I did. I apologize for keeping you waiting. Anyway, we can now talk more concretely about delivery terms.
是的,很抱歉让你久等了。我们现在可以确定发货条款了。

KN: Good.
好。

PB: We can deliver the whole consignment at 15 days at the prices already quoted. This would mean dispatch from our premises ...
我们能按定价15天全批量发货,那意味着按我们的条件发货…

KN: I’m surprised you’re not prepared to offer some sort of bulk discount considering the size of the order.
我很奇怪为什么不考虑按定单的大小给予折扣。

PB: Well, I’m sure you understand that meeting this sort of order will mean quite a lot of overtime, it would be very difficult to come down on the price.
我想你一定知道这种方式费时,我们很难在降价了。

KN: But we are offering you a large amount of regular business...
但我们提供了大批量业务啊!

PB: That’s true. Would you be willing to sign on annual contract on the basis we discussed?
对,你愿意在我们讨论的基础上签年度合同吗?

KN: Um, possibly, subject to quality and delivery guarantees.
可以,只要质量和发货能保证。

PB: Of course. Well, in that case 5we could offer a 5% discount for a confirmed monthly order for the next 12 months.
绝对保证,这样的话,如果你们在接下来的12个月里保证有月定单,我们可以给予5%的折扣。

KN: I was hoping for something a bit more substantial.
我希望折扣更高点。

PB: I’m afraid that’s as far as we could go. We’d already be stretching ourselves to the limit6.
恐怕已到我们的极限了。 我们已经让到最大限度了。

KN: Right, Mr Boardman. May I suggest we sign a 6-months’ contract at a 5% discount on your quoted prices and then we’ll meet again to see if we can reduce the prices further.
好,勃德门先生我建议按你们的定价以5%的折扣签定六个月合同,然后再看是乎能降价。

PB: You’re a tough negotiator. OK. Let’s shake on that and draw up7 the details of the first contract..
您真是一个强硬的谈判对手,让我们就此谈定,起草第一分合同的细节。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1.be critical to 对……关键
The battle is critical to the war.
这场战斗对战争很关键。
2. to be frank with… 老实说
To be frank with you, I am a spy.
坦白说,我是一个间谍。
3.catch sb. on hop 使…… 为难
The question caught the president on hop.
问题让总统发难。
4. be subject to 屈从于
The soldiers are subject to the general.
士兵从属于将军。
5.in that case如果那样
In that case ,I will go。
如果那样,我就走。
6.to the limit到极限
I work hard to the limit.
我已竭尽全力工作了。


Related background(背景介绍)

谈判桌上,双方只有利益关系,怎样达成双方满意的合同是一个难题。要为自己一方争取获得最大的利益,同时又不影响双方的贸易关系,这实属是一场策略和技巧的较量。

Exercises:

Translation.
1. 谢谢您赶来与我共度午餐。
2. 他没有作决定的权力。
3. 我们应该享有批发的折扣。
4. 你可否给我具体的数字呢?
5. 你们有一流的生产线。
6. 如果你同意把佣金订为价格的百分之十一,那我就同意你要求的折扣。

Complete the following dialogue.
A: So, ? (你是最近才开始的?)
B: That’s right, but Geoff Stanton, the Managing Director, has been in components supply for a good 20 years.
A: Oh, that’s interesting. ? (他以前和谁合作?)
B: Both he and I were with standard Telecom, in their electronics division. (我们都准备有所改变。)and when (他得到资本去开创) Northern Electronics, he asked me to join him.
A: And ? (生意怎样?)
B: Well, . (我们逐渐发展。)
A: Surely you could give me some idea?
B: Well, I reckon ... we could manage 15 days from confirmed order. But, as I say, . (不过我得回去确认一下。)
A: ? (是以你们报的价?)
B: Um ... well, actually (我们是一批批报价。). We hadn’t realized you’d be thinking of ordering the whole lot.
A: I see. So I suppose we’d be looking at reduction for bulk orders?
B: Look, I’m sorry, (老实说), you’ve here.(你可难为我了。). Would you mind waiting while I speak to Geoff on the phone?
A: No, of course not ... ? (你通了吗?)
B: Yes, I did. (很抱歉让你久等了。). Anyway, . (我们现在谈论具体事宜。)
A: Good.
Scene6 Preparation for a Meeting

会议筹备
公司正准备与Smith开高层召开会议,为此William特别询问秘书Linda Wang有关会议的安排。

W: Linda, Have you prepared1 fully for tomorrow’s meeting with Mr. Smith?
琳达,明天与史密斯先生的会议做好充分准备了吗?

L: Yes, William. Everyone has been informed. I’ve also made sure that the meeting schedule is delivered to each presenter, personally.
威廉,没问题。已经通知大家了,而且我已经确定会议的议程表通知到了每个出席人手里。

B: Great. We don’t expect any big problems to happen.
很好,我们不希望有任何大差错。

L: I see, I will never let go a mistake which may hurt our benefit.
我懂你意思。我不会让任何一个损害我们利益的错误发生。

B: You’re so right. Mr. Smith pays attention to trivialities, so we need to lay an emphasis on detail. By the way, are all the audio-visual equipments ready?
你说得一点都没错。史密斯先生很注重细节,所以我们连小地方也要特别注意。对了,所有的视听器材都准备好了吗?

A: Yes. There was something wrong with the screen but it have been repaired.
准备好了。屏幕本来有些毛病,不过现在已经修好了。

B: You’d better check once and again, just to make sure.
你最好再仔细检查,确定一切都没问题。

L: I’ll follow your instruction at once. I’ll spend the rest of the day going through the preparatory work.
我马上照办。我想今天把准备工作再检查一遍。

B: What about your regular duties?
你的日常工作呢?

L: I found an assistant to take over my regular duties.
我找到一个助手代理我的工作。

B: Well then, now I’d like to design the agenda once and for all.
唔,我想现在干脆就把会议议程定下来。

L: O. K. First, general introductions is made by everyone, then introductions of each presenter to Mr. Smith.
好。一开始是每个人做一个自我简短的介绍,然后每位出席人员向史密斯先生做个介绍。

B: Fine. And do not forget it, I think it would look more suitable for you to be well dressed
很好。喔,对了,我想你好好打扮一下会更合适点。

L: I’ll remind myself of that. After those, David Smith will open with a few minutes’ explanation.
我会记得的。之后,戴维·史密斯会先做几分钟的说明。

B: Assure him not to speak too long, unless Mr. Smith has a lot of questions.
告诉他除非史密斯先生有很多问题,否则千万不要发言太久。

L: I know the audience is not patient, so you must ask them to shorten the speech
我知道观众会不耐烦,所以你得叫他们把讲话缩短。

B: After the explanation, everything will take place as planned and is not open to 6change. After the meeting, we will be ready to dine with the guests. You can ask David in a private way.
说明之后,一切将会照计划进行,不会改变,会后会有一顿便餐,你将和客人共进餐。你可以私下问戴维问题。

L: I’ll tell Mr. Sun in advance, I will make haste to arrange.
我会提前告诉孙先生,我会赶紧安排。



Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. be prepared for 准备
Are you prepared for tomorrow’s activities?
你准备好明天的活动了吗?

2. let go放走
we will never let go a chance.
我不会让任何机会溜走的。

3. pay attention to注意
Pay attention to your pronunciation.
注意你的发音。

4. lay emphasis on强调
We must lay emphasis on safety.
我们必须强调安全。

5. take over接管
People took over the government.
人民接管了政府。

6. be open to对……公开
This article is open to criticism.
这篇文章欢迎批评。

7. in advance提前
I will inform you in advance when I go.
我走时会提前通知你。


Related background(背景介绍)

筹备会议是一项繁忙而细致的工作,特别是对细节的把握,要做到面面俱全。只有经过充分的准备,和对突发事件的充分估计,才可能确保会议的顺利进行。


Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
B: Linda, Have you prepared fully for tomorrow’s meeting with Mr. Smith?
A: Yes, William. (已经通知大家了。). I’ve also made sure that the meeting schedule is delivered to each presenter, personally.
B: Great. . (我们不希望有任何大差错。)
A: I see, . (我不会让任何一个损害我们利益的错误发生。)
B: You’re so right. Mr. Smith (很注重细节), so (我们连小地方也要特别注意。). By the way, are all the audio-visual equipments ready?
A: Yes. There was something wrong with the screen but it have been repaired.
B: You’d better check once and again, .(确定一切都没问题。)
Scene7 Calling Off a Meeting


商务礼仪—取消会议

与客户约定的重要会议突然发生变故,不能如期举行,William应如何处置?

L: William, I’m terribly sorry about this, but we have to put off or cancel tomorrow’s meeting.
威廉,我实在很抱歉,我们必须推迟或取消明天的会议。

W: Impossible! Its importance is very clearly to been seen. You gave me the Ok just a few days ago.
这怎么可以呢!这个会议的重要性显而易见,几天前还说没问题的。

L: I know. But there’s really nothing that can be done about it. The equipment has been damaged, and can’t be recovered in so short a period.
我知道,但我实在无能为力,器材受损,无法在一两天内修复。

W: The general manager is going to be blue in the face1, when she hears about this. These negotiations are hard to handle.
总经理知道这件事会很生气的,这些谈判工作很难处理。

L: I’ve told all departments of the cancellation, and change for Friday.
我已经通知各部门会议要取消,改在星期五。

W: I’d better 2 call the client again myself and make apologies.
我还是亲自再打电话向客户致歉。

L: William, I know you are not troubled with this right now, but the general manager will not be in later this afternoon. You’d better tell her this morning.
威廉, 我知道你现在不想做这件事,但总经理下午会出去,你最好早上告诉她。

W: I must be leaving now, since she is superior to3 me in position. Wish me luck.
我得走了。我可受她管。祝我好运吧!

(William enters the general manager’s office)
走入总经理办公室

W Manager, are you free now?
总经理,你有空吗?

M: Certainly, William. What’s the matter?
威廉,当然有空。你有什么事吗?

W: Well, I’m afraid I’ve got a bit of bad news. My guys have just told me that tomorrow’s meeting has to be called off.
唔,我恐怕有个坏消息告诉你,我下面的人刚告诉我,明天的会议非取消不可。

M: Cancelled? That just can’t happen! These negotiations come to naught4 ,this just might ruin the whole plan. It’ll have to go on as planned.
取消?怎么可以取消呢?取消谈判会让整个计划都完蛋的。非得如期举行不可!

W: Sorry to say, but no can do. The equipment broke down and can’t be fixed till Friday.
很抱歉,斯蒂文,真的办不到。设备坏了,星期五才能修好。

M: I don’t believed it. I’m just afraid what else can go wrong5 .
以前我从来不相信会出乱子,现在我真担心哪里又会再出错。

W: It may not be so bad. The client has no opposition to a rescheduled time, and doesn’t seem upset.
事情也许没那么糟。客户已经同意了重新约定的时间,而且也没在意。

M: Let’s hope so. I can’t put up with6 this any more. I have to say that it is your people’s mistake not to pay much attention to detail on this project.
但愿如此,我再也受不了。我不得不说,你的部属错在没有小心注意到此次计划的细节。

W: I see, and will be fully responsible for it.
我知道,我完全负责。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. Blue face 发紫的脸
He is cold with a blue face.
他冻得脸色发青。
2. had better 最好
You had better go before the rain.
你最好在下雨前走。
3. Be superior to 高于
I am superior to him in talent.
我天资比他好。
4. come to naught 无济于事
Our efforts came to naught after the rain.
下雨后,我们的努力全白费了。
5. go wrong出错
Something went wrong, because there is a bad smell.
什么地方出了问题,因为有种臭味。
6. put up with忍受
I cannot put up with my teacher who is garrulous.
我再也不能忍受我那喋喋不休的老师了。


Related background(背景介绍)

取消会议是谁都不愿看到的,但是倘若发生,一定要慎重处理,千万不要给客户造成不守信用的印象。费点工夫向客户道歉是必要可行的。


Exercises:

Translation:
1. 我们必须推迟或取消明天的会议。
2. 这个会议的重要性显而易见。
3. 我已经通知各部门会议要取消,改在星期五。
4. 明天的会议非取消不可。
5. 客户已经同意了重新约定的时间,而且也没什么不高兴。
6.你的部属没有小心注意到此次计划的细节。
Scene 8 Resigning

提出辞呈
某天早上Bob的助手Lily提出辞呈。

L: Bob, may I have a word with you1?
鲍勃,我可以和你说句话吗?

B: Of course, Lily. Anything important?
当然可以, 莉莉。有什么重要事吗?

L: This is difficult for me to talk about it, because you and I have co-operated for so long , but I’ve succeeded in 2getting into another company.
我很为难,因为你我一起合作很久了,但是,我已经进另一家公司了。

B: Lily! I wasn’t even aware3 that you’d been searching around for new employment. May I have the reason?
莉莉,我甚至没意识你已经四处找工作了!我可以问你原因吗?

L: I have to say that that has nothing to do with 4the treatment of this company. I’ve been satisfied with my salary here, and treasure the opportunity.
我要说这同公司待遇无关。我很满意我的薪水,我非常珍视公司给我的机会。

B: Have I done wrong to you? You’ve really surprised me.
那是我做了什么错事吗?你真让我震惊!

L: Bob, you’ve really been nice to me, and I thank you for the fact that you’ve taken care of5 me and taught me so much.
鲍勃,你真的待我很好,我很感谢你一直照顾我,多方教导我。

B: I must admit that I’m still mixed up6. There must be something wrong, why are you leaving?
我糊涂了,一定有对不住你的地方,不然你又为什么要辞职?

L: Well, I like new experiences, and need some new challenges.
唔,我喜欢新的经历,我需要新的挑战。

B: I see. Just these reasons?
我懂了。还有其它的原因吗?

L: To be honest7, the chances for promotion are good in the new company, and the salary was just too attractive to turn down8.
老实说,新公司晋升的机会很好,而且薪水好得简直令人无法拒绝。

B: Lily, you know how highly I think of your work, you should have come to me earlier, so we could talk about it. We might have had a chance to better the situation.
莉莉,你知道我非常看重你的工作,你该早点和我谈谈这件事。我们原本有机会改善情况的。

L: I’m sorry, Bob.
很抱歉,鲍勃。

B: I suppose it’s too late to say that!
我想,现在太晚了。

L: I’m afraid so. The offer arrived beyond expectation, and I had to decide as soon as possible. It was the chance of a lifetime I can not miss, and I really can not hesitate.
恐怕是如此。这工作机会来得突然,我必须马上做出决定。我不能错过关系一生的机会,我觉得我不能犹豫了。

B: Well, I’m sad to see you off, Lily. But all the best in your new career.
唔,莉莉,你要走,我真的很难过,但希望新事业顺利。

L: Thanks, Bob. Your generosity helps a lot.
谢谢你,鲍勃。谢谢你的帮忙。


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1. have a word with… 和某人谈话
“word”在此并非是“字”?而是“谈话” “Can I have a word with you?” “Do You have a moment to spare?”或 “Can I speak to you for a moment?”都用来指“向别人进一步说话”,而且谈话时间并不长。
I have a word with my teacher.
我和老师谈了几句话。
have words with … 和某人吵架
I have words with the neighbor.
我和邻居吵架。
2.Succeed in... 成功做…
I succeeded in going to the college.
成功地进了大学。
3.be aware that意识到…
I am aware that money is important.
我意识到钱是重要的。
4.have nothing to do with 和……无关
It has nothing to do with money
这不关钱的事。
5.take care of照顾
My mother took care of me while I was ill.
我生病时,妈妈照顾我。
6.mix up 混淆
I am mixed up in the woods.
我在林子里晕头转向了。
7.to be honest老实说
To be honest, he is not good at speaking.
老实说,他不善言谈。
7.turn down拒绝
I can not turn down the high salary.
我不能拒绝高薪。


Related background(背景介绍)
提出辞呈是一件尴尬的事,要说服上级,不要落个见异思迁的名声。谈话要委婉,做到好的开始、好的结束。哪怕将来再见也有回旋余地。

Exercises:

Complete the following dialogue.
L: Bob, ?(我可以和你说句话吗?)
B: Of course, Lily. ?(有什么重要事吗?)
L: This is difficult for me to talk about it, because you and I have co-operated for so long, but . (我已经进另一家公司了。)
B: Lily! I wasn’t even aware3 that you’d been searching around for new employment. ?(我可以问你原因吗?)
L: I have to say that . (这同公司待遇无关。) I’ve been satisfied with my salary here, and treasure the opportunity.
B: ? (那是我做了什么错事吗?) You’ve really surprised me.
你真让我震惊!
L: Bob, you’ve really been nice to me, and I thank you for the fact that you’ve taken care of5 and taught me so much.
B: I must admit that (我糊涂了。). (一定有对不住你的地方), why are you leaving?
L: Well, I like new experience, and need some new challenges.

Part three 宴请

Scene 1: Treating Guest to a Dinner

宴请客户
在宴会上

N: This is a graceful place with good atmosphere, pleasant decoration, and high-quality service. Do you come here often?
这是个很雅致的地方,气氛好、装饰美、服务质量高。你常来吗?

S: Yes. There are all kinds of food cooked to different taste, whether western or eastern.
是的。这里有东西方各种口味的食物。

N: Seems they’ve chosen a good place downtown in the city center.
这家餐厅的地点似乎也选得很对——正位于市中心。

S: Indeed. They’ve opened many small shops, that is a big business.
没错,他们开了许多家分店。生意很大。

N: They abound in 1money, judging from 2customers ’s presence.
从顾客光顾情况来看,他们赚了很多钱。

S: You know, their speed of money coming in is unbelievable. They meet needs of all the local customers.
你知道,他们赚的钱相当惊人,因为他们符合本地许多顾客的需要。

N: Sounds like they’ve made a big fortune here.
听起来好像他们发了大财了。

Waiter: May I take your orders now, gentlemen?
侍者:先生,现在要点菜了吗?

S: Would you like to order first, Nancy? I know the shop is famous for its lobsters.
南茜,你要不要先点菜?我知道该店以龙虾最为有名。

B: Can we count on your choice of wines, Nancy?
南茜,你会选酒吧?

N: Well, I’m not an expert, but I do like white wine once in a while.
唔,我可不是这方面的专家,但偶尔我喜欢喝白酒。

B: I’m sure it will be to our satisfaction.
我想我们都会很满意的。

S: I know both of you ordered Main dishes, but I recommend 5you to order a traditional dish.
我知道你们两位点了主菜,但我建议要道传统菜。

B: Make yourself at home. People nowadays seem not to be particular about6 the rules of ordering dishes.
别客气。 现在的人似乎不讲究点菜的规矩了。

N: I know I’m your guest here in Hong Kong, gentlemen, but I’d really like to pay the bill in order to express my thanks..
先生们,我知道在香港我是客人,但这一顿饭就由我请客,以表达我的谢意。

S: I’m afraid I have to disappoint you, Nancy. I am the host in the invitation at this restaurant.
南茜,恐怕这一回我会让你失望,请你来这家餐厅当然由我做东。

N: You are always thoughtful!
你们可真周到啊!


Notes about the dialogue(对话注释)

1.abound in 富有
The river abounds in fish.
河里有许多鱼。
2.judging from 从...判断
Judging from his action, he is ill.
从他的行动看来。他病了。
3.be famous for 以...出名
Beijing is famous for its places of interest。
北京以名胜古迹出名。
4.count on 依靠
You can count on him to help you.
你可以靠他来帮你。
5.recommend推荐
I recommend you to have a try.
我建议你一试。
6.be particular about讲究……
He is especially particular about what he wears.
他对穿着特别讲究。


Related background(背景介绍)

中国人是一个讲究吃的民族,民以食为天,靠吃来联络感情,加深了解,因此宴请经常出现在商务活动中。但在接待外国客户时,吃要尊重客人的饮食习惯,客人坐哪儿、喜欢吃什么、推荐什么菜式等基本的礼仪都是一门需要不断学习的学问。

Exercises:

Translation
1.他们开了许多家分店。
2.从顾客光顾情况来看,他们赚了很多钱。
3.他们符合本地许多顾客的需要。

Complete the following dialogue.
Waiter: , gentlemen? (先生,现在要点菜了吗?)
S: (你要不要先点菜,),Nancy? I know the shop is famous for its lobsters.
B: , (你会选酒吧,) Nancy?
N: Well, I’m not an expert, but I do like white wine once in a while.
B: I’m sure .(我们都会很满意的。)
S: I know both of you ordered main dishes, but .(我建议要道传统菜。)
B: (别客气。). People nowadays seem not to (讲究)the rules of ordering dishes.
Scene2 Farewell Party

商务礼仪—送行晚会

Nancy即将离开香港,李先生决定为这位嘉宾送行。

S: Nancy! Welcome, Hi, William.
南茜! 欢迎, 你好,威廉,

N: It is very kind of William to give me a lift1, a big and nice house!
威廉真好,开车来接我。你们的房子好大好漂亮噢!

S: Thanks. It owes a lot to my wife. She’s waiting to meet you.
谢谢。这些都是我妻子的功劳,她正等着见你呢。

N: Well then, I just want to see my hostess, so she can show me around.
那好,我正想见见女主人,让她可以带我四周看看。

(later, more guests have arrived。Nathan and William are standing around, making chit-chat3 with different people.)
(之后,宾客陆续到达,南茜与威廉就在大厅里,四处与来宾们打招呼、聊天。)

B: Nancy, This is Mr. David, our director of marketing.
南茜,这是我们的营销部主任,戴维先生。

D: It’s very nice to meet you, Mrs. Smith. I hope you’re having a pleasant stay in Hong Kong.
很高兴认识您,史密斯女士,我希望您的香港之行非常愉快。

N: Indeed I am. I am impressed by your hospitality.(they chitchat about small, safe topics for a minute or two.)
我的确很愉快。你们的好客给我留下了很深的印象。(彼此闲聊了一两钟。)

D: Well, I don’t want to take up 4 too much of your time. Nice to meet you, Mrs. Smith.
那么,就不多占用您的时间了。我很高兴认识您,史密斯女士。

S: Excuse me, everyone! Can I have your attention for a minute? Dinner is ready, please be seated (he approaches Nathan).
对不起,请大家注意一下!晚餐准备好了,请就坐。(他走向南茜)

S: Nancy, since you’re the guest of honor, please sit in the honor-guest seat.
南茜,你是贵宾,请你坐在上座。

(after dinner 晚餐之后)
S: Ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to offer a toast to our guest of honor, Mrs. Nancy Smith.
各位女士先生们,我要向我们的贵宾-南茜·史密斯女士举杯致意。

S: Nancy, let’s propose a toast to 5 our firm partnership and the friendship between ourselves. 
南茜,为我们的伙伴关系及友谊干杯。

B: Nancy, I’d like to present you with a traditional Chinese painting and a bottle of Chinese wine as a gift.
南茜,我把这些中国古画和酒送给你作为礼物。

S: Just accept it.
就收下吧。

N: (standing) I appreciate what you’ve done to me, and I look forward to many visiting Hong Kong again and I believe we will see each other again. Cheers everyone!
(站起来)我很感激你们为我所做的一切,我相信我们不久会见面。各位干杯!



Notes about the dialogue( 对话注释)

1. give someone a lift 接送、让某人搭便车
“lift”在此等于 “ride”, “乘车”,这短语可代换为 “give someone a ride”。
例It rained and Tom gave me a lift.
天在下雨,我搭汤姆的车回家。
2.Owe… to.. 归功于
Our success owed a lot to hard work.
我们的成功归于努力工作。
3.Chit-chat 闲谈
Girls like chit-chats
女孩子喜欢闲谈。
4. take up 占(时间、空间)
“take up” 在本文上是指“占用时间或空间”,此外它另有 “从事某项活动”、“提出讨论”等意思。
The meeting took up two days.
开会开了两天。
He took up the struggle for liberty.
他为自由而战。
5.Propose a toast to.. 为……而干杯
Let’s propose a toast to the friendship between Chinese people and British people.
让我们为中英人民的友谊干杯。


Related background(背景介绍)

送别客人是一项重要的礼仪活动,在生意谈完之后,便是从生意场上的竞争对手变成朋友的时候了。举行送别宴可以促进双方贸易关系的发展,保持合作伙伴关系。


Exercises:

Translation:
1.威廉真好,开车来接我。
2.你们的好客给我留下了很深的印象。
3.对不起,请大家注意一下!晚餐准备好了,请就坐。
4.我要向我们的贵宾-南茜·史密斯女士举杯致意。
5.为我们的伙伴关系及友谊干杯。

Part 1 见面和问候
见面与问侯是商业活动中比较常见的场合,在此种场合中人们应该随时注意自己的言辞和举止,特别是和新客户见面时,更应态度和蔼和真诚,树立自己的良好形象,以求给对方留下一个深刻的印象。
1)Greeting friends 问候朋友

Why, hello, Green!
呃, 你好, 格林!

How are you, Mr Wang?
你好吗,王先生?

How have you been?
过得如何?

How are you feeling?
你觉得怎么样?

How have you been getting along?
过得怎样?

How are things?
过得如何?

How is everything with you?
过得如何?

How goes the world with you?
近况如何?

How goes it?
近来如何?

Where have you been up to?
近来在忙什么?

Where have you been?
你去哪儿了?

Where have you been keeping yourself?
你去哪儿了?

Haven’t seen you for such a long time.
很长时间没看到你了。

It’s been a long time.
好久不见了。

Long time no see!
好久不见。

Haven’t seen you recently.
一段时间没见你了。

What a happy surprise!
真没想到会碰见你!

It’s quite a pleasant surprise!
真没想到会见到你!

Fancy meeting you here!
真想不到会在这儿遇见你!


2)Greeting others和其他人打招呼

How do you do ?
你好。

Good morning, Mr. Black!
早上好, 布莱克先生!

Hello, Mr. / Mrs. / Miss Brown!
你好, 布朗先生/ 女士/小姐!

How nice to see you!
很高兴见到你!

I’m glad to know you.
认识你真高兴。

I’m very glad to meet you.
很高兴遇见你。

It’s a pleasure to meet you.
很高兴遇见你。

How very nice to meet you!
见到你真高兴!

I’m glad to have the opportunity to meet you here.
很高兴有这个机会让我在这儿遇见你。


3) Response回答
Fine, thanks.
很好, 谢谢。

Fine, just fine.
很好, 很好。

Really fine.
真的很好。

Great!
好极了!

Fine, and you?
很好, 你呢?

Just so-so.
马马虎虎。

Nothing much.
不怎么好。

Bearing up, bearing up.
马马虎虎。

Surviving, thanks.
凑合, 谢谢。

Same as ever.
和以前一样。


Related background(背景介绍)

问候的对象有陌生人和熟人之分, 问候的场合有正式与非正式之分。 这就导致了说话方式及语气的不同。 熟人之间, 通常较随和非正式, 可直呼其名(first name), 并且可进行进一步的问候, 例如家人情况如何, 假期过得怎样等。 但陌生人之间, 一般较正式, 不宜直呼其名, 而在其姓氏(surname)前加适当的称谓。


Translation.

1.过得如何?
2.过得怎样?
3.近来在忙什么?
4.很长时间没看到你了。
5.真没想到会见到你!
6.认识你真高兴。
7.很高兴有这个机会让我在这儿遇见你。
8.很好, 谢谢。
9.真的很好。
10.马马虎虎。

Part 2介绍与告别


1)Identifying yourself 介绍自己

Hi, my name is ——
你好, 我的名字是——

May I introduce myself? I’m——
我来自我介绍一下, 我叫——

Let me introduce myself. I’m ——-
我来自我介绍一下, 我是——

How do you do, my name is ——
你好, 我是——

Allow me to introduce myself first.
允许我先自我介绍一下。

Mr. White, please allow me to introduce myself.
怀特先生, 请允许我自我介绍一下。

Excuse me, but may I introduce myself?
对不起, 但请允许我自我介绍一下。


2)Introducing others 介绍别人

Let me introduce Mr. Johnson to you. He is Department Manager of American National Import and Export Corporation.
让我向你介绍一下约翰逊先生,他是美国进出口公司的部门经理。

Come and meet Mr. Zhao, mechanical engineer of our plant.
来见见赵先生吧,他是我们厂 的工程师

Please allow me to introduce Mr. Wang, president of our company.
请允许我介绍一下本公司总裁王先生。

May I introduce you to Mr. Zhou, . managing director of our company.
让我把您介绍给我公司管理主任周先生,好吗?

This is Mr. Fang, electrical engineer from an electrical company.
这位是电力公司的工程师方先生。

Mr. Smith, please allow me to introduce Mr. Fang, Executive Secretary of overseas Department.
史密斯先生,请允许我介绍方先生,海外部的执行秘书。

Let me introduce Mr. Wu. He is director of a building firm..
让我来介绍一下吴先生,他是建筑公司经理。

May I introduce you to our manager, Mr. Zhang?
请允许我把您介绍给我们的经理张先生,好吗?

I would like you to meet my friend, Miss Li.
我想让你见见我的朋友李小姐。


Excuse me. Are you Mr. Thompsom from New York ?
请原谅,您是从纽约来的汤普森先生吗?

Have you met Nathan?
您见过内森吗?

By the way, do you know each other? John and Rick .
约翰,李克, 顺便问问,你们彼此认识吗?

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you Mr. Kevin Joe, Assistant Manager of Apple Company.
我很高兴向诸位介绍一下苹果公司的副经理凯文·乔先生。

I want you to meet a friend of mine, Mr. Brown.
布朗先生, 我想让你见见我的一个朋友。

May I present Mr. Green?
我可以介绍一下格林先生吗?

I don’t think you have met before, so allow me to introduce you.
你们以前没有见过吧, 请允许我介绍一下。

3)Partings 道别

I really must be going. It’s rather late.
我真的必须走了。现在已经很晚了。

I’m afraid I’ve got to be going now.
我恐怕我现在必须走了。

I must be on my way.
我必须走了。

It’s time we were off.
该是我们走的时候了。

I really have to go. I’ve got a lot to do this morning.
我真的必须走了。 今天上午我还有很多事情要做。

Bye-bye. / Goodbye.
再见。

It’s nice to have met you.
遇见你真高兴。

Goodbye. I’ll see you in a couple of days.
再见。几天后我们会再次见面的。

See you.
再见。

See you tomorrow / soon / later / this evening / in a few minutes.
明天见。/ 不久再见。/ 以后再见。/ 今天晚上再见。/ 几分钟之后再见。


Related background(背景介绍)

介绍要注重礼貌,比如,把男士介绍给女士,年轻人引见给长者,下级介绍给上级,客人介绍给主人,语气要委婉。道别一般要说明原因,态度诚恳,避免主人误会。


Translation.

1.允许我先自我介绍一下。
2.我来自我介绍一下, 我叫李平。
3.对不起, 但请允许我自我介绍一下。
4.让我向你介绍一下约翰逊先生,他是美国进出口公司的部门经理。
5.请允许我介绍一下本公司总裁王先生。
6.让我把您介绍给我公司管理主任周先生,好吗?
7.我很高兴向诸位介绍一下苹果公司的副经理凯文·乔先生。
8.我恐怕我现在必须走了。
9.该是我们走的时候了。
10.以后再见。

Part 3 询 盘

询盘是公司交易之间的前奏。

A lot of inquiries1 confirm the high quality of our products.
大量询盘证明我们产品质量过硬。

We can not but allot you 200 cases since inquiries are so large.
我们只能给你们200箱因为询盘很多。

Inquiries for steel are increasing.
对钢的询盘在增加。

1t is impossible to reply to your vague inquiry .
我们无法答复你的模糊询盘。

Apple company received the inquiry sheet which is sent by a British company.
苹果公司收到一家英国公司寄来的询价单。

Mr. Li is sent to Shanghai to make an inquiry at X Company.
李先生被派往上海向X公司进行询价。

In order to make an inquiry about our products, a representative of X company paid us a visit.
为了对我们的产品询价, X公司的代表访问了我们。

They transferred their future inquiries to X Company.
他们将以后的询盘转给X公司。

Thank you for your inquiry.
谢谢你们的询价。

Notes:

1.inquiry 询盘;inquirer 询价者
2.inquiry sheet 询价单
3.make an inquiry 发出询盘;询价

Please inform us your lowest possible prices for product x.
请告知我们你们x产品的最低价格。
Would you inform us your best prices C. I. F.1 Shanghai for A product.
请告诉你方 A 产品的上海到岸价的最低价格。
Which kind of payment terms2 you will prefer?
你们将采取何种方式付款?
Would you give me an estimation of price?
你愿意给我一个估价吗?
We have inquired about the varieties , quality and price of A product.
我们询问了A产品的品种、 质量、价格等问题。
Would you please deliver us a catalogue of your products with terms of payment?
你能寄给我们一份产品的目录,并告诉我们付款方式吗?
When will you make delivery4?
你们什么时候才能交货?
Would you take special orders3?
你们能接受特殊订货吗?
Please make prompt delivery5.
请迅速交货。
I can place the order right now at your favorable prices.
如果价格优惠,我可以立即订货。


Notes:

1.C. I. F. 到岸价格
2.Payment terms 付款方式
3.Special orders 特殊订货
4.To make delivery 交货
5.To make prompt delivery 即期交货


The buyer invites the seller to make quotations
买方邀请卖方报价

Please quote 40 tons of raw iron FOB Shanghai.
请报四十吨生铁上海的离岸价。
Please quote ten cases of products A CIF Beijing with a 6% commission.
请报十箱产品A北京到岸价,连同 6%佣金。
Please telex your offer for 1000 Products B.
请电传产品B一千的开盘价。
Please quote us immediately,if you are interested in this product.
如果你对这一产品很感兴趣,请向我方报价。
Please offer the lowest price for this commodity.
请报这一商品的最低价。


(4)The Seller Invites the Buyer to Place Orders
卖方邀请买方下定单

We can supply 100 tons of X。 Please order immediately.
我们可供一百吨X。请速来订购。

Please place your order as soon as possible.
尽快订购。

We’ll make delivery at once if I receive your order.
收到定单后,我们将马上交货。

This is a list of our products .If interested, please contact.
这是我们的商品目录。有意请联系。

This commodity has ready market so that we expect an order from you.
该商品市场广阔,我们期望收到你方订单。

Translation.

1.对钢的询盘在增加。
2.谢谢你们的询价。
3.如果你对这一产品很感兴趣,请速将价格报来。
4.请报这一商品的最低价。
5.尽快订购。
6.这是我们的商品目录,有意请联系。

Part 4 报盘和还盘

通过报盘和还盘,公司逐渐在价格条款上达成共识。

Please offer us F. O.B. prices.
请向我们报船上交货价格。

We have the offer ready for you .
我们已经为您准备好了报盘。

Please make us a cable offer.
请来电报盘。

We can offer X from stock.
我们可以提供x现货。

I’m waiting for your offer.
我正等着您的报盘。

Your firm offer is accepted.
你们报的实盘已接受。

Are all your prices on C.I.F. basis?
你们价格都是成本加运费保险费价格吗?

Can I have your lowest quotations, C.I.F. Guangzhou?
你方能报给我方广州到岸价的最低价格吗?

The previous prices is below the price you offered.
你方的报价比上次的价格还要高。

Our offer was grounded on reasonable profit, instead of on wild speculations.
我们的报价是以合理利润为基础的,不是乱报价。

This offer result from an expanding market which is competitive
此次报盘是基于一个不断膨胀和充满竞争的市场而开出的。

You will have the preference of our offer.
我们将优先向你们报盘。

I will make you a special offer.
我将给你们一个特别优惠报价。

We try to make the price get close to the costs of production.
我们设法使价格接近于生产成本价格。

The price you offered is among the best ones.
你方开出的价格是最好的之一。

Your price is too high to accept. So we have to ask for a slight reduction.
你们的报价太高,故我们要求稍微减价。

We can take it into consideration on condition that the price is reduced..
你们降价我们才给予考虑。

Your offer is so convincing that we agree to it.
你们的报盘很吸引人, 我们表示同意。


Notes:

1.F.O.B. 到岸价
2.Offer 报盘,报价
3.Firm offer 实盘
4.Wild speculation 漫天要价
5.The preference of one’s offer 优先报盘
6.Cost of production 生产费用

Acceptance接受

We accept your offer only with the quantity reduced by a quarter.
只要数量减四分之一,我们接受贵公司的报盘。

We accept the offer you made on Sunday.
我们接受你方星期天发出的报盘。

We accept your offer and will dispatch the goods at once.
我们接受你方的报盘,货物将立即运出。

We accept your counter-offer.
我们接受你方的还盘。

We are prepared to accept your offer if you pack the goods with wooden cases .
如果贵公司用木箱包装货物,我们准备接受贵公司的报盘。


Notes

1.Offer报盘
2.Counter-offer还盘
Related background(背景介绍)
报盘和还盘也就是讨价还价,是双方不断相互让步、最终达成协议的过程。
Translation.

1.我们已经为您准备好了报盘。
2.你们报的实盘已接受。
3.你们价格都是成本加运费保险费价格吗?
4.此次报盘是基于一个不断膨胀和充满竞争的市场而开出的。
5.我给你们一个特别优惠报价。
6.你们的报盘很吸引人, 我们表示同意。
7.我们接受你方星期天发出的报盘。
8.我们接受你方的还盘。

Part 5 开户
开户是到银行申请一个帐户。

What kind of account did you prefer?
你想开哪种帐户?

Would you like to open a current account1?
你想开一个活期存款帐户吗?

There’s a service charge for the checking account while you pay no money for the saving account.
支票户头要收服务费,现金户头免费。

In which way would you like to deposit your money?
你想存何种户头?

What is the minimum deposit for a savings account?
储蓄存款的最低存款额是多少?

A deposit or current account?
定期还是活期?

Can I open a savings account at any time?
我可以随时开立储蓄帐户吗?

Even one yuan is ok .
甚至一元也可以起存。

What is the minimum original deposit?
最低起存款额是几元?

Please bring it back whenever you deposit or withdraw money. Keep it well and report whenever you lose it.
存取款时请带来。保管好存折,遗失请报告。

I would like to open a current account.
我想开一个活期存款帐户。

A checking account can help to pay my bill.
支票帐户能付帐。

I wonder how to open a checking-savings account.
我想知道如何开一个支票储蓄帐户。

I have a checking account here, which is working.
我在这里有一个有效的支票存款帐户。

I think I’d like a deposit account.
我想要开个定期存款帐户。

How do I operate this account?
我如何使用这个帐户呢?

Can I open a current account here?
我能否在这儿开个活期存款帐户?

I‘d like to open a deposit account.
我要开个定期储蓄帐户。

What’s the difference between a savings account and a checking account?
储蓄存款与支票存款的区别是什么?

The procedure for opening a savings account is simple.
开个储蓄帐户手续简单。

Is there any minimum for the first deposit?
第一次储蓄有最低限额吗?

Does each account cost much?
每个帐户要花钱多吗?

Notes
1.current account活期存款帐户
2.savings account储蓄帐户
3.checking-savings account.支票储蓄帐户
Related background(背景介绍)
要开帐户,首先要明确自己需要那种户头,然后去了解其中的相关规定。

Translation.
1.你想开哪种帐户?
2.支票户头要收服务费,现金户头免费。
3.定期还是活期?
4.我想开一个活期存款帐户。
5.我要开个储蓄帐户。

Part6 管理帐户
帐户的使用

I wonder if I can draw on my account in order to pay for things I buy in Beijing.
我想知道我是否能提款来支付北京购物的费用。

May I draw money with the credit card here?
我可以用这份信用证取钱吗?

I want to withdraw 200 yuan from my deposit account.
我要从我的定期存款中支取200元。

I’d like to close my account.
我想销户。

Could you tell me my balance1?
能否把存款结余金额告诉我?

I think you can draw on this account by cheque in shopping.
我以为你购物时可用支票提款支付。

Your balance is enough.
你的结余足够。

Inform me my balance.
请通知我结余金额。

Your credit card is used up.
你的信用卡用完了。

Your deposit is exhausted.
你的存款支净了。

In what way do you wish to draw your money.?
你希望怎样支款呢?

Is my credit card exhausted?
信用卡款子已提清了吗?

The cashier will pay you according to your number.
出纳员将根据你的号码付给你钱。

Would you mind filling out a withdrawal form?
请填写取款单。


Notes

1.balance结余金额
Related background(背景介绍)
帐户的管理要弄清楚其使用范围,资金的结余平衡。
Translation:
1.我可以用这份信用证取钱吗?
2.我以为你购物时可用支票提款支付。
3.你的信用证用完了。
4.你希望怎样支款呢?
5.请填写取款单。

Part 7 银行汇率

汇率的变动关系着结汇的风险。

What about the selling rate for US dollar in notes today?
今天的美圆售价怎么样?

The buying rate of U.S. dollar notes is 860 yuan per hundred dollars.
美圆买入价是100美圆兑860元。

What’s the dollar going for today?
美圆今天的售价是多少?

And how much will it be in Japanese currency?
换成日本币是多少?

How much would I change 300 Japanese yuan for?
300日圆可兑换多少钱?

What kind of currency do you want?
要哪种货币?

What kind of currency do you want to change for?
要换哪种货币?

In what denominations1 do you prefer?
要什么面值的?

I’ll want to know the exchange rate2 between U.S. dollars and RMB.
我想知道美圆对人民币的兑换率。

Would you please give me some small change.
请你给我一些零票。

Would you mind changing the money for coppers?
劳驾给我换成硬币。


Notes
1.denomination面值
2.exchange rate兑换率
Related background(背景介绍)

汇率的变化增加了国际收支的风险。在国际贸易中,为了降低结汇的风险,通常选取汇率稳定的货币作为结汇货币。
Translation:

1.今天的美圆售价怎么样?
2.要哪种货币?
3.要什么面值的?
4.请你给我一些零票。

Part8 利息
What’s the interest rate1 for the savings account?
储蓄存款的利率是多少?

Interest is calculated at the rate of 0.8% per annum at present.
目前每年的利率是按0.8%计算的。

You can earn a little interest on your money.
你能从存款中获得一点利息。

The account carries a low interest.
该户头利息很低。


Notes

1.interest rate利率
Related background(背景介绍)
利率反映着储蓄的变化,是货币贬值的补偿。
Translation:
储蓄存款的利率是多少?

Part9 支票

Please sign your name before cashing the check.
在兑支票之前,请签名。

The check can overdraft 400 yuan.
这张支票的透支额是400元。

Please endorse the cheque.
请对支票背书。

Please write your account number on the back of the check.
请在支票背面写上你的帐号。

You must pay1.5% of the total amount in using your card.
在用卡时你得付总额的1.5%。

Each cheque you write will cost 3 dollars.
你每开一张支票将花3美圆。

Here’s the cheque book.1 When you send a cheque by post, just cross it.
这是一本支票簿,你邮寄支票时,要在支票上打叉线。


Notes

1.cheque book支票簿
Related background(背景介绍)
支票是出票人要求银行向支票持有人付款的一种命令,支票经背书后可以转让。支票是支付的重要手段之一。

Translation:
1.在兑支票之前,请签名。
2.请在支票背面写上你的帐号。
3.在用卡时你得付总额的1.5%。

Part10 保险

I come to have myself insured in your company.
我是来投保的。

When should I go and have the vegetables insured?
我什么时候将这蔬菜投保?

The underwriters1 shoulder the responsibility as long as it is within the scope of cover.
只要是在保险责任范围内,保险公司就应负责。

Please fill in the application form.
请填写一下投保单。

I come to give the explanation of the unfortunate affair and make compensation.
我是来解释这件不幸事件并要求对此进行赔偿的。


Notes

1.underwriters保险公司

What risks are concerned?
可以保哪些险?

What exactly insurance covers according to your rules?
根据你们的规定,包括哪些险别?

Reading the “fine print”1 in any insurance policy is important so that you know what kind of coverage you are buying.
阅读保险单上的“细则”是十分重要的,这样就知道你要买的保险包括哪些内容。


Notes

1.”fine print”细则

What is the insurance premium1?
保险费是多少?

The premium varies with the range of insurance.
保险费用要根据投保范围的大小而有所不同。

Can you give me an insurance rate?
您能给我一份保险率表吗?

The premium is to be calculated in this way.
保险费是这样计算的。

Could you find out the premium rate for fruits?
您能查一下水果的保险费率吗?

The insurance rate will vary according to the kind.
保险费率将根据货物种类而定。

You ‘d better choose an insurance agreement that appears best suited to your needs.
你最好挑最适合你需要的一种保险。


Notes

1.insurance premium保险费

W.P.A. stands for “With Particular Average”.
WPA代表水渍险。

F.P.A. stands for “Free from Particular Average”.
FPA代表平安险。

The goods are covered against Free from Particular Average.
货物投保平安险。

What you’ve covered is breakage.
你所投保的是破坏险。

Would you like to arrange for coverage against Risk of leakage?
您愿意投保泄漏险吗?

This is an All Risks policy which covers all sorts of hazard。
这是一份承保一切险的综合险保单。

We’d like to cover the vegetables against All Risks.
我们想为这批蔬菜投保综合险。

The coverage is W.P.A2. plus Risk of Breakage.
投保的险别为水渍险加破碎险。

An F.P.A. policy does not covers you against total loss if the loss is caused by big peril.
平安险在发生较大危险时不给保全部损失险。

We can furnish you with a broad range of coverage against all kinks of risks.
我们可以承保所有险别。


Notes

1.F.P.A平安险
2.W.P.A水渍险

Do I need to buy a foreign student policy?
我是否需要购买外国学生保险?

where can I purchase health insurance?
我在何处能买到健康保险?

Health insurance is set for people short of money and guards them against the sudden economic consequences of sickness or injury.

健康保险就是为穷人而设、保护他们对付意外伤害或疾病的险种。


Related background(背景介绍)

保险事业的发展促进了国际贸易的繁荣。保险行业转移了国际贸易中的各种风险,使跨国商务活动得以顺利开展。


Translation:

1.我是来投保的。
2.只要是在保险责任范围内,保险公司就应负责。
3.你最好选出最适合你需要的一种保险。
4.货物投保平安险。
5.我们可以承保所有险别。
6.我在何处能买到健康保险?

Part 11 合同

We are ready to sign a contract for housing.
我们准备签订一份住房合同。

Who will sign the contract on behalf of your Corporation.
谁将代表你们公司在合同上签字?

I have the contract ready for the manager’s signature.
我准备好了一张合同正待经理签字。

I got the contract as a result of a much lower price.
由于报价低,我签了合同。

Are we anywhere near a contract yet?
我们可以签合同了吗?

Both companies have entered into a new contract.
两家公司签订了一份新合同。

You help us to land the contract.
你帮助我们签那份合同。

We sign a contract when we are acting as buyer and seller.
当我们进行交易的时候都要签定合同。

I began to draw up a contract.
我开始起草一份合同。

We both have to make some concessions in order to succeed in signing it.
为了签合同,我们双方都要做些让步。

We launched a long discussion about a new contract.
我们就一份新合同展开了长时间的讨论。

Our current contract is soon to expire, and a new one is ready.
现有合同不久将期满,新合同已准备好了。

We can repeat the contract on the same terms.
我们可以再签定一个同等条款的合同。

There is something wrong about the old contract .In order to correct it, we must have a negotiation.
旧合同出现问题,我们必须通过协商加以修正。

Let us make out a contract for the deal.
让我们为这笔交易订一份合同。

The building is under way according to the contract.
房屋在合同的条款下正筹建之中。

It is necessary to clear up problems arising from the old contract.
清理一下旧合同中出现的问题是必要的。

We are prepared for two originals of the contract.
我们准备了两份合同正本。

The copy of our contract will be sent back.
合同的副本将被送还。

Refer to the contract if you have any problems.
有问题以合同为准。

May I refer you to the contract A?
请您参考一下合同A。

The quantity and the unit price are stipulated in each contract.
商品的数量和单价在每份合同中都有详细规定。

What are the main clauses in the contract?
合同中的主要条款有哪些?

We must be in accordance with the terms of the contract.
我们必须遵守合同条款。

Is everything in conformity with the contract stipulations?
一切都与合同的规定相吻合吗?

If you delay the shipping, you will be punished according to the contract.
如果你延误运货,按照合同规定你将受到适当惩罚。

When the goods aren’t up to standard or of poor quality, you will break the contract.
如果所交货物不符合标准或质量差, 你就违反了合同。

The approved contract functions on both parties.
批准的合同对双方就有了作用。

Since the contract comes into effect, none can go back on it now.
合同已生效,任何人都不能背弃合同。

This contract will come into force as soon as it is signed by two parties.
合同一经双方签定即生效。

We have to hold you to the contract.
我们不得不要求你们按合同办事。

The rights and interest must be included into a contract.
权益条款必须订在合同中。

Any deviation from the contract will be checked.
任何违反合同之事都要制止。

We always carry out the terms of the contract and pay attention to our credit.
我们坚持重合同、守信用。

It’s a breach of contract.
这是违约。

Do we have the right to cancel the contract?
我们有权取消合同吗?

You have no reasons for going against the contract.
你没有违约的正当理由。

You cannot cancel the contract without both agreements.
如果没有双方同意,你们不能取消合同。

If one side fails to carry out the contract, the other is legal to cancel the contract.
如果一方不执行合同,另一方撤消该合同是合法的。

A contract, which is signed, must be strictly implemented1.
签定的合同就应严格执行。

 

Notes

1.Implement 执行


Related background(背景介绍)

合同是确保双方合法利益的凭证,是缔约双方执行的标准和规范。


Translation.

1. 谁将代表你们公司在合同上签字?
2. 我们可以签合同了吗?
3. 我开始起草一份合同。
4. 让我们为这笔交易订一份合同。
5. 合同中的主要条款有哪些?
6. 我们必须遵守合同条款。
7. 合同已生效,任何人不能背弃合同。
8. 我们坚持重合同,注重信用。
9. 签定的合同就应严格执行。

Part 12 付款

Which is convenient, to pay in pound sterling or in RMB?
用英镑或人民币,哪一个付款较方便?

You can not pay on deferred1 terms.
你不能延期付款。

Your reason for the refusal of payment is…
你们拒付的理由是……?

Collection is not paid.
托收款未得到照付。

It is unbelievable that you’ll refuse to pay.
难以置信,你们会拒付。

Only one refusal of payment is acceptable to the bank.
银行只接受一次拒付。

Wrongly refusing leads to loss of credit.
错误拒付导致信用丧失。

A decline in prices might exerts a negative influence on payment.
市场价格下跌对支付有负面影响。

We will buy the house in installments.
我们将以分期付款的方式买房。


Notes.

1.deferred延期

Have you settled the terms of payment1?
你们已经谈妥了付款条件吗?

How about the mode of payment2 to be employed?
你认为我们将采取的付款方式怎样?

This is the normal terms of payment in international business.
这是国际贸易中惯用的付款方式。


Notes

1.payment terms 支付条件,付款方式
2.the mode of payment 付款方式

The draft was discounted in Beijing.
汇票已经在北京兑现。

We’ll draw on you by our documentary draft at sight on collection basis.
我们将按托收方式向你方开出即期跟单汇票。

I’ll be unable to meet these draft1.
我无力兑付这些汇票。

Please protect our draft on presentation.
请见票即付。

The draft has been handed to the bank.
汇票已经交银行托收。

One can draw on the incumbent just as if there were credit card.
当作有信用证一样,向当事人开汇票托收。

We enclose a cheque for RMB200.
我们附上人民币200元的支票一张。

The amount is already remitted by cheque.
已经将款以支票汇出。

The draft has not been collected.
汇票之款尚未收进。

Notes

1. draft 汇票


Related background(背景介绍)

付款,既结汇在国际贸易中存在多种方式,但目前以信用证作为结汇手段非常普遍。选择付款方式,应对对方的资信情况和一贯商务作风进行审查,协商争取有利本方的结汇方式。


Translation.

1.你不能延期付款。
2.我们以分期付款的方式买房。
3.汇票已经在北京兑现。
4.我无力兑付这些汇票。
5.请见票即付。

Part 13质量

Nothing wrong will happen, so long as the quality 1of your article is good.
只要商品质量可靠,就不会发生差错。

If the quality of your products is satisfactory, we may place more orders.
如果你们产品的质量使我们满意,我们将会发出更多的订单。

There is no difference in quality between the two.
两者在质量上无差异。

As long as the quality is good, I do not care about the price.
只要能保证质量,我对价钱无所谓。

Prices are fixed according to their quality.
价格按质量的好坏而定。

The quality is suitable for our market.
产品质量适合我们的市场。

The transferee 2must ensure the quality of the product.
受让方要确保产品的质量。

It is a rule to improve the quality of our products and production efficiency.
改进产品质量、提高生产率是我们的原则。

We always have faith in the quality of your products.
对你们产品的质量我们总是很信任。

Notes

1.quality 质量,品质
2.transferee 受让者

Is it a quality product?
这是一种高质量的产品吗?

Those goods are of good quality1.
这批货质量高。

Your goods are superior in quality
贵方产品质量上乘。

Regardless of its high price, the quality of our products is worth believing in.
虽然价格高,但我们的产品质量值得信任。

Our products are very good in quality, and the price is low.
我们的产品质高价低。

We are impressed by your excellent quality.
你们上乘的产品质量给我们很深印象。


Notes

1.good quality 好质量

We are responsible for1 replacing the ones below the standard.
我们保换质量不合格的产品。

There is really something wrong with the quality of the cars.
汽车的质量确实有问题。

We hope that you’ll pay more attention to the quality of your goods in the future.
希望你方将来多注意产品的质量问题。

The operation of these machines are inaccurate2.
这批机器运行不准。

I regret this quality problem.
对质量问题我深表遗憾。

The quality of the fertilizer is below the standard.
化肥质量低于标准。

The quality of this article cannot qualify for the standard.
这批商品的质量不够标准。

More than 300 bikes are not up to standard.
有300多辆自行车不合质量标准。


Notes

1.to be responsible for 对...负责
2.inaccurate 不精确的
 
Your sample that you sent us arrived last Sunday.
上星期天已经收到了你方寄来的样品。

We’ve got here our sales samples X and Y.
这里是x号和y号样货。

Our quality is based on our sales samples.
我们的质量以货样为准。

We sell goods as per the sales sample1.
我们销售的产品是以货样为标准。

You can see the difference between these grades.2
你可以看看这些等级的差别。

These two grades are in great demand.
这两种等级的商品目前需求量很大。

We are in urgent need of these two grades.
我们现在急需这两种等级的货。

What’s the specification of the goods.
货物的规格是多少?

Have you received the specifications in our catalog?
你们收到了按我方目录所列的产品规格了吗?

Vivid designs and beautiful colors are not enough for the quality.
图案新颖,色泽鲜艳不能代表质量好。

The quality is good except that it can not last long.
质量无问题,只是不耐用。

The food went bad and its quality is low .
食物变质,质量很差。


Notes

1.sample 样品
2.grade 等级


Related background(背景介绍)

质量的好坏影响着产品的销售,考虑产品的质量是交易的重要因素,也是生产者考虑的要素。


Translation:

1. 如果你们产品的质量使我们满意,我们将更多订货。
2. 价格按质量的好坏而定。
3. 这批货质量高。
4. 我们的产品质高价低。
5. 我们保换质量不合格的产品。
6. 对质量问题我深表遗憾。
7. 我们的质量以货样为准。
8. 货物的规格是多少?
9. 质量无问题,只是不耐用。

Part14 代理
 
Considering your experience in the field, you are qualified as our agent.
考虑到你们在这一业务范围的经验, 你合格地成为我们的代理。

We’ve decided to entrust you with the sole agency for computer.
我们决定委托你作为我们计算机的独家代理。

Thank you for your proposal of acting as our agent.
谢谢你方提出作为我们代理的建议。

We keep a stock in Beijing and act as distributors as well as agents.
我们在北京有仓库,并经营销售兼做代理。

We can play an important role in your overseas trade.
我们能在你方海外贸易中起重要作用。

If we come to terms, we’ll appoint you as our agent.
如果达成协议,我们将指定你为我方的代理。

Please get in touch with our agents if you require.
若需要请与我们的代理联系。

We have to decline you acting as our sole agency.
我们不得不谢绝你作为我方独家代理。

As a buying agent we can take good care of your import business.
作为买方代理我们能承担起你方进口业务中的责任。

I think it too early for us to discuss the question of agency.
我认为现在讨论代理问题为时过早。

We can hardly appoint you as our sole agent without the increase of sale.
只有你们增加营业额,我们才能指定你们作为我方的独家代理。

Two years ago we made them our sole agent.
两年前我们委任他们为我方独家代理。

When opportunity matures, we will appoint you our exclusive agent2 for the USA.
当机会成熟时,我们将委托你为我方在美国的独家代理。

We’ll consider appointing you as our sole agent for our products.
我们将考虑指定你方作为我们产品的独家代理。

I am applying for the sole agency of your product.
我正在申请做你方产品独家代理。

How can we appoint you as our sole agent for such a small quantity?
订货量如此之少,我们怎能请您做独家代理呢?

I propose to be a sole agency for your products.
我建议做你们产品的独家代理。

We are prepared to take it into consideration that you will be our sole agency
我们准备考虑你方作为我方独家代理的问题。

We should be interested in acting as your sole agent.
我们很乐意做你公司的独家代理人。

We will sign the agency agreement.
我们将签定代理协议。

He has drawn up the agency agreement.
他已经拟订代理协议书。

The agency agreement was made out with great care.
代理协议书制订的非常仔细。

I hope we can see eye to eye about the agency problem..
我希望在代理问题上取得一致意见。

We wonder whether we may conclude a long term agency contract with you.
我们不知道能否与你方达成长期代理合约。

I want to sign a sole agency agreement with you.
我想和你们签定独家代理协议。

We will spare no efforts to promote the sale of our products so as to be a good agency.
我们将尽力促进销售,当一个好代理。

We can continue the agreement of agency.
我们可以继续代理协议。

Our agency agreement calls for a long time.
我们要求长期代理。

I’ve come again to prolong our sole agency agreement to 3 years.
我们想把我们之间的独家代理协议延长到三年。

Notes

1. sole agent 独家代理(人)
2. exclusive agent 独家代理(人)


Related background(背景介绍)

代理是帮助销售的有效渠道,可以促进货物的销售与流通,降低生产商自己在国外直接经营的风险,起着帮助生产商开拓市场的作用。代理商一般以佣金的形式获得报酬。


Translation:

1. 考虑到你们在这一业务范围的经验, 你合格地成为我们的代理。
2. 谢谢你方作为我们代理的建议。
3. 如果达成协议,我们将指定你为我方的代理。
4. 我正在申请做你方产品独家代理。
5. 我们将签定代理协议。
6. 我们将尽力促进销售,当一个好代理。
7. 我们要求长期代理。

Part15 销售

Products x can find a ready market in our country.
X产品在我国很有市场前景。

Chinese fruits are very popular in the market on account of their superior quality and competitive price.
中国水果因价廉物美而畅销于市场。

This product is a best seller 1.
该货是畅销货。

There is no market for these articles.
这些商品无销路。

Your bicycles find a ready market here.
你们的自行车在此地销路很好。

There is a good market for these goods.
这些商品很畅销。

Do you know how to increase the sale of your product?
你知道怎样增加你方产品的销售吗?

They are doing their utmost to broaden the market.
他们正在尽最大努力以扩展市场。

Our demand for this product is on the increase.
我们对该产品的需求正在增长。

There is a poor market for these articles.
这些商品滞销。

We are trying to find a market for this article.
我们正在努力为此项商品寻找销路。

The market situation is not known to us.
我们还不了解市场情况。

Advertisement has a close bearing on2 sales.
广告对产品的销路有很大关系。

More information helps to find outlets for our products.
充分的信息有助于我们产品的销售。

According to your estimate, what is the maximum annual sale amount?
据你估计,你能完成的最大年销售量是多少呢?

Your market still has great potential.
你们的市场仍有很大潜力。


Notes

1.best-seller 畅销货
2.have a bearing on 有关系

We must promote the sale of your products.
我们必须增加销量。

I have no difficulty in marketing these products.
我在市场上推销这些产品没有什么困难。

I have years of experience in pushing products.
我在推销方面很有经验。

Please tell me your plan to push the sale of the products.
告诉我你的推销计划。

You are experienced in promoting the sale of products .
你们在促销我们产品方面很有经验。

We’ve spared no effort and spent quite a lot of money in advertisement.
我们已竭尽全力不惜重金地为产品打广告。

We’ve spared no effort1 in promoting the sale of your products.
我们为促销你们的产品已竭尽全力。

The salesmen work hard to push the sale of the products.
推销员为推销产品努力工作。

I’ve done a lot to promote the sale of our products.
我为推销我们的产品作了大量工作。


Notes

spare no effort 不遗余力
Related background(背景介绍)
只有当产品进入消费领域后,生产商才能收回成本同时获得利润,所以销售是贸易中很重要的一环。不断地挖掘市场,扩大销售渠道,公司才会不断地发展。
Translation.
1.该货是畅销货。
2.这些商品无销路。
3.他们正在尽最大努力拓展市场。
4.广告对产品的销路有很大关系。
5.你们的市场仍有很大潜力。
6.我们为推销你们的产品已竭尽全力。

Part16 佣金

What about the commission?
佣金是多少?

The bigger the quantity is, the higher commission rate is.
订货量越大,佣金率就会越高。

In a general way, a 2% commission is given to our agent.
一般情况下我们给代理商百分之二的佣金。

He came to hold a talk about the commission 1for his new business.
他来洽谈有关生意中的佣金问题。

We expect a high commission, of course.
当然,我们希望能得到较高的佣金。

We’re usually paid with a high commission.
我们通常给予很高的佣金。

The money includes all commission.
这钱包括所有佣金在内。

We’ll offer you a 3% commission on the transaction2.
这笔交易我们将付给百分之三的佣金。

Generally speaking, commission depends on the quantity of goods ordered.
一般来说,佣金多少由订货量决定。

We don’t pay any commission on our traditional products.
对我们的传统产品,概不付给佣金。

Commission is allowed to agents only.
我们只对代理付佣金。

We don’t pay commission to firms dealing with indirect business.
我们一概不付佣金给间接业务的公司。

Notes

1.commission 佣金,手续费
2.transaction 交易
 
The commission has been increased to a high level in your favour.
佣金已大幅度提高。

You can grant us an extra commission1 in order to cover the additional risk.
你们得付给我方另外的佣金,以补偿额外风险。

For every additional 10 pieces of pianos sold, we’ll give you 0.2% more commission.
每笔交易若能多卖出10架钢琴,你们可以多得百分之零点二的佣金。

We can’t agree to increase the rate of commission.
我们不能同意增加佣金率。

We’ll get more in commission for our effort.
经过努力,我们可以多得佣金。

A higher commission means a higher price.
如果佣金提高了,价格也要提高。

Is it possible to increase the commission to a high level?
能不能进一步提高佣金?

The commission is not high.
佣金不算高。

The commission is not enough.
佣金不够。

The present commission isn’t far from enough.
当前佣金已经比较高了。

The commission is left unpaid.
佣金未付。
 


NOTES

1 Extra commission 额外佣金


Related background(背景介绍)

佣金是给代理的报酬,关系到代理商的收益。


Translation.

1.佣金是多少?
2.订货量越大,佣金率就会越高。
3.这钱包括所有佣金在内。
4.一般来说,佣金多少由订货量决定。
5.经过努力,我们可以多得佣金。
Part17包装

I’d like to discuss the problem of packing.
我想就包装问题讨论一下。

Would you like to know something about the packing of the products?
您想了解产品的包装情况吗?

Please make an offer showing the packing.
连同商品的包装,请对产品报个价。

We’d like to hear your proposal concerning the matter of packing.
我很想听听你们就包装问题的意见。

Your opinions on packing are worthy.
你们对包装的意见是有价值的。

It is necessary to improve the packaging.
改进包装方法十分必要。

We will have the products packed in the way you like.
我们将按你们的要求包装。

Packing effects the reputation of our products.
包装影响产品的声誉。

A packing that catches the customers’ attention will help us push the sales.
醒目的包装有助于我们推销产品。

Packing has a close bearing on sales.
包装直接关系到产品的销售。

Customers always pay great attention to packing.
消费者很注意包装的情况。

Different articles require different packing.
不同商品需要不同的包装。

Generally speaking, buyers bear the charges of packing.
包装费用一般由买方负担。

How much does packing charge account for the total cost of the goods?
包装费用占货物总值的多少呢?

The new packing will be to your clients’ satisfaction.
新包装定会使您的客户满意。

The machines must be well protected against dampness, moisture, rust and shock.
机器包装必须防湿、防潮、防锈、防震。

We have no objection to the packing way.
我们同意这种包装方式。

Normally, packing charge is included in the contract price.
一般说来,合同价格中已经包括了包装费用。

We can not afford to change the packing, because it is of high cost.
我们不能更换包装,因为成本高。
 

Notes

1.packing 包装
2.packing charge 包装费用
 
Do you know how to pack fireworks? 1
礼花怎样包装?

The packings are in good (bad) order.2
包装完好无损(破损)。

The packing is beautiful and quite well-done.
产品的包装美观讲究。

Please pack the goods very carefully.
请细心包装此货。

These presents are tastefully packed.
这批礼物包装十分精美。

The packages are intact. The packing is beautiful.
包装完好无损,很美观。

The design of the packing will help you promote the sale of products.
包装将有助于我们推销这些产品。

The packing must be strong enough to withstand any risk.
包装必须十分坚固,以承受危险。

Our packing will be compared with that of any country.
我们的包装可以与任何国家的同类产品的包装相篦美。

Reinforce packing in order to minimize the extent of any possible damage to the goods.
加固包装,使货物遭到的损坏减小到最低程度。

The poor packing affects these goods’ sale.
这些产品由于包装不好影响了销售。


Notes

1.fireworks 礼花
2 in good order 好秩序 

Could you use cardboard boxes?
你们用硬纸板箱包装吗?

It would cost more for you to pack the goods.
包装成本会高些。

The eggs are packed in cartons with beehives lined with shake-proof paper board.
鸡蛋要用带蜂房孔、内衬防震纸板的纸箱包装。

We agree to use cartons for outer packing.
我们同意用纸箱做外包装。

Each pill is put into a small box sealed with wax.
每个药丸装入小盒后用蜡密封好。

Please make the fruit jar airtight.
请把果酱罐密封。

This would discourage people from trying their hand on such packing.
人们不轻易使用这种包装。

The piece goods are to be wrapped in craft paper, then packed in wooden cases.
布匹在装入木箱以前要用牛皮纸包好。

The case was a substantial one.
此箱使用了足够的包装材料。

The cardboard boxes are not strong enough for ocean transportation.
纸板箱经不起远洋运输。

This packing way can save freight cost.
这种方式可以节省运费。

We are for using smaller container to pack the goods.
我们支持用小容器包装这批货。

Each case is filled with foam plastics in order to protect the goods against pressure .
箱子须装满有泡沫塑料以免货物受压。

The canned goods are to be packed in cartons with double straps.
罐装货物在纸箱里,外面加两道箍。

You must reinforce the packing with metal straps.
你们必须用铁箍加固包装。

The goods are to be packed in strong export cases, securely strapped.
货物应该用坚固的出口木箱包装,并且牢牢加箍。

Shirts are to be packed in plastic-lined water-proof1 cartons.
衬衣应放在内衬塑料防水的箱子里。

We use a polythene wrapper for goods.
货物都用聚乙烯袋包装。


Notes

1.water-proof 防水的

On the outer packing there is “Handle with Care”.
在外包装上有“小心轻放”字样。

The goods are packed in a wooden numbered case.
货物放在木制编号的箱子里。

Please mark the cases.
请给箱子作标记。

Please tell me packing and marks.
请告知包装及唛头式样。

We will mark the packages the same as before.
我们将在货包上刷上和以前一样的唛头。


Related background(背景介绍) 

包装关系到产品的名誉,以及产品的销售,好的包装可以创造一个品牌,打开一个市场。


Translation:

1. 您想了解产品的包装情况吗?
2. 包装影响产品的声誉。
3. 消费者很注意包装的情况。
4. 包装费用占货物总值的多少呢?
5. 请细心包装此货。
6. 包装完好无损,很美观。
7. 我们同意用纸箱做外包装。
8. 请告知包装及唛头式样。

Part18 运输

We arrange shipments to any part of the world.
我们承揽到世界各地的货物运输。

He is well up in shipping work.
他对运输工作很在行。

What is your specific transport requirement?
你们需要的运输条件是什么?

The two sides agreed on the mode of transportation.
双方就运输方式达成了一致。

What’s the mode of transportation2 of steel?
钢材的运输方式是什么呢?

Can you tell me how to move your machines?
你能告诉我出口机器用哪种运输方式吗?

A part of the goods were damaged in transit.
一部分货物在运输途中受损。

The goods are now in transit.
货物正在运输途中。

We will have cargo space reserved。
我们将预订货舱。

Do you do any chartering?
你们租船吗?

It will cost a lot in our transportation.
我们的运输耗资巨大。


Notes

Transportation 运输
Mode of transportation 运输方式

 
Transported by air is the most efficient mode of transportation in the world today.
空运是目前世界上最有效率的一种运输方式。

Usually, it is cheaper to have the goods sent by sea than by railway.
通常,海运比铁路运输便宜。

For such a big order, it is better to have the goods dispatched by sea.
数量如此多的货物,最好走海运。

Please dispatch the fruits we ordered by railway.
请通过铁路运输我们订购的水果。

Rather than the high-cost railway transportation, we prefer sea tansportations.
我们愿意通过海运而不通过运输费用高的铁路运输。

Sometimes sea transport is troublesome to us.
有时海运对我们来说麻烦。

Please have the goods transported by air.
请空运此批货。

Can you have them sent by railway?
能采用铁路运输方式吗?

To move the goods by railway is quicker.
铁路运输较快。

It is not proper to transport the goods by railway.
此货不适合用铁路运输。

There are some difficulties in arranging railway transportation.
安排铁路运输有困难。

We would prefer to have goods carried by road and not by railway.
我们宁愿用公路运输货物而不用铁路。

We prefer the way of combined transportation.
我们宁愿联运货物。

The two sides agreed to employ “combined transportation” to ship the goods.
双方决定联运货物。

I don’t like this kind of combined transportation.
我并不喜欢这种联运方式。

We have to arrange multimode combined transport by rail and sea.
我们只好安排海陆联运。

The way of combined transportation has the complicated procedures.
有时联运的手续十分繁琐。

It’s easy to cause a delay in shipment or even lose the goods completely in this way.
这种方式货物容易丢失,也常误期。

We find a simpler and cheaper way to arrange transport.
我们选了一种既简单又经济的运输方式。

Insurance covers both sea and overland transportation.
保险包括水陆两路运输。

If the goods are to be transshipped from one means of transportation to another during the course of the entire voyage, it’s called “combined transport”.
如果货物在运输途中交换交通工具,这便是“联运”。
 

Notes

1.combined transport联运

Who will bear the extra freight charges?
多出的运费由谁负担?

Please quote your current tariffs.
请报你公司的最新运费表。

Freight for shipment from Shanghai to Hong Kong is to be charged to your account.
从上海到香港的运费由贵方负担。

The bill of lading should be marked as “freight prepaid”.
提单上应该注明“运费预付”字样。

This is one set of the shipping documents covering the consignment.
这是一套这批货的装运单据。

We’ll send you a full set of non-negotiable documents immediately after the goods are loaded.
货一发运,我们就寄给你方一套单据副本。

When the goods have been loaded, you can get the B/L signed by the master of the vessel.
货装上船后,你可以得到由船长签字的提单。

We’ll send you two sets of the Shipped, Clean Bill of Lading.
我们将寄送两套已装运清洁提单。
 

Related background(背景介绍)

运输是将产品从生产运输到市场的过程。


Translations

1.我们承揽去世界各地的货物运输。
2.货物正在运输途中。
3.空运是目前世界上最有效率的一种运输方式。
4.数量如此多的货物,最好海运。
5.此货不适合用铁路运输。
6.双方决定联运货物。
7.我们选了一种既简单又经济的运输方式。
8.请报你公司的最新运费表。
9.这是一套这批货的装运单据。

Part19装运

The shipment has arrived in good condition.
运到之货状况良好。

Are you satisfied with this shipment?
您对第一批货感到满意吗?

Please Take care of future shipments.
请多加注意今后装运的货物。

We regret we can’t ship as you desired.
很抱歉,我们不能按你们的要求装船。

We’ll send vessels to pick up the cargo at Tianjin.
我们将派船只在天津装运。

There is an over-shipment, which is not allowed.
货物多装了这是不能允许的。

Can we have a short-ship?
我们可以少装吗?

The goods are all ready for shipment.
货物已经准备好,待装运。

Many can get preferential duty rates of the U.S.A.
许多能获得美国的优惠税率。

The cargo has been shipped on board
货已装上轮船。

We wish it in bulk.
我们希望其散装。

If shipment were effected from Hong Kong, we could receive the goods much earlier.
如果在香港交货,我们可以更早些收到货物。

The facilities for shipping goods have changed a lot.
装运条件已大大改善了。

Can our order of products be shipped as soon as possible?
我们订的产品能尽快装运吗?

We must speed up shipment.
我们必须加速装船。

Could you manage to hasten the delivery?
你们能否加快装运?

Could you possibly effect shipment more promptly?
你们能不能提前一点交货呢?

We wish a timely delivery
我们希望及时交货。

We can advance the time of delivery.
我们能把交货期提前。

Can you ensure a prompt delivery of the goods.?
你可以确保即期交货吗?

Could you do something to advance your shipment?
你们能不能设法提前交货?

They hold a discussion on the time of shipment for fireworks.
他们就礼花的装运期问题进行了谈判。

The time of shipment cannot be fixed.
交货期还没定下来。

Tell us a definite date of shipment.
告诉我们确切的装船日期。

Can you effect shipment of the order at once?
您看这批货能马上装运吗?

Is it possible to effect shipment at once?
能不能马上装船?

I want the goods to be delivered at once.
我希望你们能马上发货。

How many weeks it will take altogether before the goods can reach our retailers after shipment?
从交货到零售商收到货物总共需要几星期?

We can effect shipment in December.
我们在今年12月交货。

We assure you that shipment will be made soon.
请您放心,我们不久交货。

You expect us to make delivery in less than 2 month.
我们希望您在不到2个月的时间内交货.

I’m terribly sorry about late shipment.
我非常抱歉货物迟交了。  

It’s better to designate Port x as the loading port.
在x港装货比较合适。

Both sides hold a discussion on the loading port.
双方就装运港问题进行了洽谈。

We’d better have a brief talk about the loading port.
我们最好能就装运港问题简短地谈一谈。

You may choose Port y as port of shipment.
你可以选择y港作为交货港。

How about shipping them from Port x instead of Port y?
把y 港改为 x港交货怎么样?

You insist that Port x is the loading port, right?
您坚持把x港定为装运港,对吗?

We are always willing to choose the big ports as the loading ports.
我们总希望用较大的港口作为装运港。

We’d like to designate Shanghai as the loading port because it is the biggest.
我们希望把上海定为装运港,因为它最大。

It makes no difference to us to change the loading port from x to y Zhuhai.
将装运港由 x改为y对我们来说问题不大。

He exchanged views on the choice of the unloading port with Mr. Smith.
他和史密斯先生就选择卸货港问题交换了意见。

What’s your unloading port please?
你们的卸货港定在哪里?

Do you think it’s proper to unload the Chinese tea at London?
你认为把伦敦作为中国茶叶的卸货港合适吗?

We’d like to appoint x as the unloading port.
我们选择x 作为卸货港。

There are more sailings at Shanghai, so we have chosen it as the unloading port.
因为上海的船次多,我们把这里定为卸货港。

It’s not reasonable to have the goods unloaded at Hamburg.
把货卸在汉堡不太合适。

Don’t you think it’s troublesome to transship the goods at Sydney?
您不认为在悉尼转船太麻烦了吗?

Do you wish to transship the goods to Macao at Hong Kong?
您是不是想把货物由香港转至澳门?

We have been able to transship cargoes at Hong Kong.
我们能在香港转货。

Sometimes, we have to make a transshipment
有时我们不得不转船。

There are risks of damage to the goods during transshipment.
在转船期间有货物被损坏的风险。

All transport transshipment charges will be included in the C.I.F. price.
所有的转运费用都包括在到岸价格里面了。

Partial shipment is allowed.
允许分批装运。

I heard that partial shipment wasn’t permitted.
我听说不允许分批装运。

Transshipment is (not) allowed.
(不)准许转船。

We must have the goods here for reshipment.
货物必须转运。

In case of transshipment, we have to pay extra transportation charges.
货物如果转运,我们得多付运费。

Translation:

1.运到之货情况良好。
2.货物已经准备好待装运。
3.你们能不能提前一点交货呢?
4.告诉我们确切的装船日期。
5.我们最好能就装运港问题简短地谈一谈。
6.你们的卸货港定在哪里?
7.所有的转运费用都包括在到岸价格里面了。
8.货物必须转运。
Part20 商品检验

As an integral part of the contract, the inspection of goods has its special importance.
作为合同里的一个组成部分,商品检验具有特殊的重要性。

Let’s take up the question of inspection today?
今天咱们讨论商品检验问题吧。

The inspection of commodity is no easy job.
商检工作不是那么简单。

Mr. Black is inspecting the goods.
布莱克先生正在商品检验。

We should inspect the goods to see if there is any breakage.
我们要检查一下这批货物是否有破损。

The exporters have the right to inspect the export goods before delivery to the shipping line.
出口商在向船运公司托运前有权检验商品。

The inspection should be completed within a month after the arrival of the goods.
商品检验工作在到货后一个月内完成。

Let us define the inspection rights.
让我们界定一下商检的权力。

There might be some disputes over the results of inspection.
商检的结果可能会发生争议。

We’ll accept the goods only if the results from the two inspections are identical with each other.
如果双方的检测结果一致,我们就收货。

Where do you wish to reinspect the goods?
您希望在哪里复验商品?

The importers have the right to reinspect the goods after their arrival.
进口商在货到后有权复验商品。

What’s the time limit for the reinspection?
复验的时限是什么时候?

It’s very complicated to have the goods reinspected and tested.
货的测试和复验起来比较复杂。

the results from the inspection and the reinspection do not coincide with each other.
检验和复验的结果有出入。

Who issues the inspection certificate in case the quality does not confirm to the contract?
如果货物的质量与合同不符,由谁出具检验证明书呢?

The certificate will be issued by China Import and Export Commodity Inspection Bureau or by any of its branches.
检验证明书将由中国进出口商品检验局或其分支机构出具。

The commissioner of your bureau will sign the Inspection Certificate.
检验证明书将由商检局局长签字。

Our certificates are made valid with the official seal.
我们的证明书以盖公章有效。

As a rule, our certificate is made out bilinguistically.
通常证明书是用双语开具的。

Our goods must be up to export standards before going into the market.
我们的货物只有在符合出口标准后才能投入市场。

Is it convenient for you to engage a surveyor?
你们联系公证方便吗?

We have the best surveyor, China Import and Export Commodity Inspection Bureau.
我们有最好的公证行,即中国进出口商品检验局。


Notes

1. surveyor公证


Related background(背景介绍)

检查商品质量是维护进口商利益的行为。


Translation.

1.作为合同里的一个组成部分,商品检验具有特殊的重要性。
2.商检工作不是那么简单。
3.出口商在向船运公司托运前有权检验商品。
4.如果双方的检测结果一致,我们就收货。
5.检验证明书将由中国进出口商品检验局或其分支机构出具。
6.我们的货物只有在符合出口标准后才能投入市场。

Part21 价格

The price is acceptable (unacceptable).
价格可以(不可以)接受。

The price is feasible (infeasible).
价格是可行(不可行)的。

The price is workable.
出价可行。

The price is realistic (unrealistic).
价格合乎实际(不现实)。

The price is reasonable (unreasonable).
价格合理(不合理)。

The price is attractive (not attractive).
你方价格有吸引力(无吸引力)。

The price is competitive (not competitive).
价格有竞争力(无竞争力)。

The price is turning high(low).
价格上涨(下跌)。

The price is rising (falling).
价格上升(下降)。

The price is up (down).
价格上涨(下跌)。

The price is looking up.
价格看涨。

The price has shot up.
价格飞涨。

The price has risen perpendicularly1.
价格直线上升。

The price has risen in a spiral2.
价格螺旋上升。

The price has hiked.
价格急剧抬高。

The price is on the high side.
你方价格偏高。

The price has advanced.
价格已上涨。

The goods are priced too high.
货物定价太高。

The price is leveling off.3
价格趋平。

The price is prohibitive.
价格高得令人望而怯步。

The American dollar is strengthening.
美圆坚挺。

The U.S. Dollar is weakening.
美圆疲软。

Is it possible for you to raise (lift) the price a little?
你们能否把价格提高一点?

The price is hovering low and high。
价格徘徊。

The price is easy.
价格疲软。

The price has declined.
价格已跌落。

The price has dipped (sagged).
价格已下降。

It simply can’t stand such a big cut.
再也经不住大幅度削价了。

The price has tobogganed.
价格突然下降。

The price has plummeted.
价格暴跌。

We’ve already cut the price very fine.
我们已将价格减至最低限度了。

We’re ready to reduce the price by 6%.
我们准备减价百分之六。

We cannot take anything off the price.
我们不能再减价了。

We’ve already cut down our prices to cost level.
我们已经将价格降到成本费的水平了。

There is no room for any reduction in price.
价格毫无再减的余地了。

We can not come down the price any more.
我们不能够再降低价格。

DM210 is equivalent to 400 RMB.
210德国马克折合人民币为400元。


Notes

1. perpendicularly垂直
2. spiral螺旋
3. level off持平
Related background(背景介绍)

价格是商务谈判中的核心问题,价格的高低直接关系到买卖双方利益。在商品的作价问题上,必须考虑到当前国际市场价格,同时根据双方的贸易关系和自己的销售意图制订出一个合理的商品价格。

Translation.
1.价格可以接受。
2.价格似乎不现实。
3.价格上涨。
4.价格徘徊。
5.货物定价太高。
6.美圆坚挺。
7.价格疲软。
8.价格暴跌。
9.我们不能再减价了。
10.价格毫无再减的余地了。

没有评论: